We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

May 2022 Grocery Challenge

1…1415171920…58

Comments

  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 3,009
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've never made it before but thought it sounded nice. I bought kale for it, but have no celery😒, so might carry the recipe over or omit the celery. I had rice last night and forgot it had rice in it, so don't really want it again. @Greying_Pilgrim With having mostly paprika in, is it a bit like Goulash? 


    Not really.  I should say if anything it's more like a pilaf style dish.  I think the original has meat in it - if nowt else, a ham hock bone would be used to make the stock that the rice then absorbs as it cooks, but i make mine veggie, so use a veggie stock cube.  Speaking entirely personally, I like the celery 'depth' of flavour, it and the parsley seem to give the dish something.  But I realise that some people are allergic to celery, and would leave it out anyway.  But I like celery as a base in dishes.  The recipe that I use to make my Hoppin John is from the Deal & DeLuca cookbook, and there isn't paprika in that version.  

    Greying X
    Thanks for your reply. I can only find recipes online with paprika in, I guess maybe because of the omission of bacon, as they are Vegan. I think I will wait and do it with celery; as I'd like to do it properly, at least for the first time to see if I actually like it, and would make it again. 
    GC 2026 £1,339.25/1200.00
    (20.49/8 = 2.52 <2/8> coffee) Sep £88.70/100 BB £29.85/20 (includes food, toiletries and cleaning, from 13th to 12th of each month).
    One person vegan household, with occasional visitors

    https://share.octopus.energy/lotus-okapi-493?utm_source=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_content=unique-link

    Forever learning the art of frugality
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.