IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Very old parking fine, statute of limitations?

Options
Hello all, hoping I can get some help.

I got a notification of a parking ticket from a collection firm back in 2012 (ya, I know!), can't remember the name and have moved, so paperwork is most certainly lost. I don't ever remember getting a ticket on my windscreen, and as such, ignored it. I never paid it, they came around several times when I wasn't home and the fine kept going up by hundreds of pounds. My landlord stated they just shoved the letters through the letterbox and drove away, he challenged them stating that they had to have it signed for. Last I looked it was well into the thousands of pounds. My question is twofold. 1. Is there a time limitation in which they can still come after me? 2. How can I check to see if there is still legal action against me?

Thanks in advannce

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 April 2022 at 3:16PM
    Options
    It is six years (England and Wales) and five years (Scotland) providing of course they did not obtain a judgment in default given the original PCN was 10 years ago.  You could start with one of the credit file tracking agencies (Experian is one such).
  • Johnersh
    Johnersh Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I suspect @half_way has it right. If "they" are posting stuff through the letterbox, rather than just a royal mail postie, that sounds very much like an enforcement agent (ie. following a ccj).

The o/p needs to look at the paperwork carefully and with a degree of urgency. 
  • Jim_Fox
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for the answers/suggestions. Sorry, I don't know the lingo, CCJ, Council Court Judgement? It was a parking ticket, supposedly. It appears, for no other reason than the fact that it went to a collection agency, that there must have been a judgement against me. Nobody is banging on my door, and as far as I am aware, nothing has gone to my former address. My ex landlord sold the place so I don't know his whereabouts, which doesn't help. I still have the same vehicle which was still registered to my previous address, but have been away (abroad taking care of an elderly parent, then caught out with COVID travel restrictions) while the car was parked up at a friends, and only thought of this when I returned and have to renew my licence (it expired while I was away). I've moved and the paperwork was lost, so no hope of finding it, I've looked in all my boxes. My concern is that somewhere there is a collection agency lurking out there somewhere ready to pounce once I register my car to my new address. I know I should have addressed this before now, but when the collection agency was running my bill up into the 1000's for a parking ticket, I simply panicked and did the "head in the sand" hoping it would go away. Not a good or responsible response, I know. However, getting a bill for 1000's of pounds for a parking ticket? Come on, how is that ethical, or even legal? But it is what it is, and I was hoping that maybe there is a solution that would not cost me 1000's. Again, thanks for the help/advice offere so far, any other info would be appreciated. 
  • Johnersh
    Johnersh Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    The paperwork that you do have should have details of the county court judgment on it. 

You can apply to set aside a ccj, but you need to meet set criteria.  You can search the forum for that. There are a number of threads that cover it. 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Was it a private or Council PCN?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,313 Forumite
    Options
    Do you actually have the paperwork?

When was the last time you are aware that someone shoved something through a door?

Have you looked at your credit reference agency files to see if you have a county court judgment against your name? (Experian, Equifax, Transunion)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • 95Rollers
    95Rollers Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Without any paperwork it's a guessing game at best.

Can you upload a copy of the letter- but with your name, address and the reference numbers blanked out,.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback