Is there anyway to get a maintenance grant for an online part time degree for a mature student?

I recently became unemployed after a full time administration assistant contract ended. I have been working in admin for 7 years and mostly disliked it. I have been offered a new job but it is only 25 hours a week. I am glad to be spending less time doing admin, but I am not glad of the 10,000k a year wage decrease. I thought, it would be a good opportunity to study for an online degree in the spare time, as it is something I have been thinking about for a while and now I will have the time to do it.

So I did a lot of research and found Illustration BA(Hons) at Falmouth University, which is all taught online, so I can do my job at the same time. 

I am eligible to get the tuition fee loan, but apparently you cannot get maintenance loans for online courses, which I find bizarre really because you need to work less to make time to do the course, but then you are earning less to pay for it. This job would only leave me with a few hundred pounds a month after all the bills, and I need a new computer and other equipment, not to mention I am hoping to get married in the next year or so (small wedding) and go on holiday as usual. 

Is there any way to get some sort of additional funding as a mature student who has bills to pay and a mortgage? If I was doing a part time degree in person I would be eligible for £8,000 a year but the universities near me don't offer anything appropriate. 

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards