🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can not get a balance transfer card

Options
Hey everyone, 

I have around £21k over 3 credit cards which I would like to pay off by the end of the year, however I have tried to get a balance transfer card but my eligibility is 0. Would I be best of clearing one credit card down and then trying again to get one so my risk is lower on my credit assessment report?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2022 at 11:23AM
    Options
    Clear down as much of your existing debt as you can, highest rate first.

Visit the DFW boards for advising on getting rid of the debt so you're not reliant on BT offers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The chances are (assuming you have checked on the issuer's own site, not the CRAs) that they consider you have too much debt vs income hence won't give you another card. If you can pay down one you might get a new BT offer that you can use
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The more you can reduce your debt (keeping your credit limits intact) the more likely you are to get a better offer (assuming there are no nasties lurking in your history like CCJ's and late payments) - whichever has the highest rate - get that one paid down first - maintaining just over the minimum payment on the other two cards. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure