Maintainace loan - final installament

My student son has 3 weeks left of his undergraduate degree when he returns after Easter hols. His last student loan will be paid on the first day he returns. Will that be less then he's previously received? I believe it will be as this is what I've read before because it doesn't have to last him through the summer. He insists it won't because his girlfriend who graduated last summer  hers wasn't - however she had a change in her parents finances (Mum not working for a while due to illness),

He receives the min due to our household income. We pay his rent and that is covered until the end of the summer. He lives in private halls. He's been doing some online work but it's become very sporadic. His gf isn't currently working. Last year when he lived in shared private housing, the housemate that finished their 3 year degree received a council tax bill the following week as their student status had ended.

He'll be job hunting but in the meantime, does he need to claim something when the course ends?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,727
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Yes, I would expect him to receive less in the final term.
    I would have thought private halls were exempt from individual liability for council tax.
    If he has no income he could claim universal credit. He won't be able to claim until after the official end of term or whenever it is deemed that the period the student loan covers finishes. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Nick9967
    Nick9967 Posts: 186
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure that's right you know, just had my lads maintenance loan approved and it gives indicative  dates, 3 of them , the last is 17/04 (end of first year) and that amount is very slightly higher than the first 2 , unless it change in final year? 
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,997
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nick9967 said:
    I'm not sure that's right you know, just had my lads maintenance loan approved and it gives indicative  dates, 3 of them , the last is 17/04 (end of first year) and that amount is very slightly higher than the first 2 , unless it change in final year? 
    My son has been at Uni  there since 2018, did a foundation year first and yes every year prior is split like you describe as they return the following Autumn to do the the next year. In their last year they are not doing this, they are completing their degree, and need to find work or claim benefits. My son, however insists I'm wrong. We will see!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,727
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Nick9967 said:
    It’s the final year that changes, as there is no cover for the Summer holidays.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm sure my Husband's student loan account tells him when and how much he'll be paid. 

But agree with others that of your final year the last installment is reduced 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It'll definitely be lower. Suggest that he checks his schedule. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback