🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Barclay's court ruling

Options
I was defaulted on two Barclay cards in 2018 I actually tried to pay the amounts before the deadline but could not load their website for 7 hours I was trying to get through to them on the phone for 6 hours - I sent an email (two actually) before the deadline saying that they had not left a message, or texted / called or emailed to inform me of any missed payments - the third payment would have gone through no problem but they had cancelled the direct debit again I didn't know - the next day I got through and asked for the defaults to be removed and I would pay the cards off. They refused. It's almost like they deflated me win purpose. Now I find there was a court case in 2018 and they were ordered to rectify cals like mine, I only just found out but ringing them they are dying they know anything about a court case. I am minded to make an application to court this week and bring these issues before a judge. What on earth is going on at Barclaycard ? 

Comments

• SnowGoose21
    Options
    I have recordings of those calls in 2018 and all calls with barclays etc
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,566 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this the information you're after?  Looks like there's a phone number you could try.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/barclays-refund-customers-arrears/

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Now I find there was a court case in 2018 and they were ordered to rectify cals like mine, I only just found out but ringing them they are dying they know anything about a court case. I am minded to make an application to court this week and bring these issues before a judge. What on earth is going on at Barclaycard ? 
    The article linked in the previous post sounds similar but wasn't a court case as such, and involved Barclays automatically issuing refunds to those affected by inadequate lending controls, so if they didn't contact you then that would suggest you weren't eligible.

You'd need to do more research about exactly what Barclays' obligations were under the court case and whether they applied to you, but you're getting way ahead of yourself if you think you have enough to initiate court action this week without significantly more due diligence first....

If the accounts were defaulted in 2018, those will drop off your credit files in another couple of years, so if you've already gone four years, what makes this more of an issue now?
  • SnowGoose21
    Options
    They sold the debt on to another company that took out CCJ's which remain for 4 more years
  • Fighter1986
    Fighter1986 Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April 2022 at 1:20PM
    Options
    You will have been able to make payment to the Barclaycard(s) using details they had alredy sent you without having to call them.

You will have been given details as a customer during your time with Barclaycard of their account number and sort code which you can use to initiate a payment from your bank account to your credit card using your 16 digit card number as the reference, which will have credited your Barclaycard account(s) the same day as a faster payment.

These details are re-iterated on the back of every statement you've ever received, and on the Barclaycard website.

The reference number you needed to quote when making this payment / these payments will have been detailed on the default notice letter, which you could have used before the deadline quoted on the letter.

There was no need to call Barclaycard to pay them - I'm afraid the fault lies in your court for this one.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,883 Forumite
    Options

There was no need to call Barclaycard to pay them - I'm afraid the fault lies in your court for this one.
    While they may have been able to have made a faster payment. As OP had defaulted, their account will be being dealt with by a credit team. So it could well be that any payment has to be made direct to them so they can direct it to the correct account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Fighter1986
    Fighter1986 Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options

While they may have been able to have made a faster payment. As OP had defaulted, their account will be being dealt with by a credit team. So it could well be that any payment has to be made direct to them so they can direct it to the correct account.
    Their account hadn't defaulted when they received the default notice letter - this letter includes a deadline by which to pay in order to prevent the account falling into default. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure