Dynamo cover retrospectively increasing price

Does anyone have breakdown cover with dynamo?I received an email from them on 4th April to say they would be charging an additional £2.60 for cover I purchased in January, as their prices have increased due to inflation. They have today requested this payment from my bank. I have checked reviews and many others are complaining about this, the link to terms and conditions(which seem to have suddenly appeared and states it is relevant for purchases made from October 2021), states they have a right to pass on inflation costs to the customer. Surely this is not right? Its the same as purchasing an insurance policy and then being contacted four months later to advise there is an increase on the price originally paid!!advice please

Comments

• Same here just happened to me would be interesting to see where we stand on this one 
  • Yes took £2.66 no email to notify and can’t even remember buying a policy. Gave them a 1 star review on trust pilot.
  • I had this too. I bought a 12 month policy in August 2021 (outright, not monthly direct debit) and received the rpi notice a couple of weeks ago. I emailed them back, stating nowhere in my policy docs was this potential price increase mentioned. A chatbot email response came back within minutes saying they would waive the 3 pounds for me as a gesture of good will. Very dodgy - they have set up a chatbot response just to appease anyone who challenges the charge and hoping everyone else just thinks its not much and the company must be entitled to do it (like sky and mobile contracts) and pays!
  • kezzygirl
    kezzygirl Posts: 854
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I too received a chatbot email. No offer of repayment though.
  • eezyrider
    eezyrider Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Appalling company!

Tried to charge £9-98 to cancel a policy which cost £18-90. I refused and allowed it run. Now up for auto renewal. It says you cannot cancel auto renew by email, you have to phone but they don't answer the phones.

As luck would have it I switched bank accounts just after purchase so they won't get any money anyway. Probably why I didn't get an inflation charge mid-term.

Financial Ombudsman don't accept complaints unless you have exhausted complaints procedure. How can you if they don't respond?

I hate loose ends.
  • @eezyrider beware that, technically, changing payment details does not affect the contractual agreement (see citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/insurance/insurance/cancelling-an-insurance-policy/).

• rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,574
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What is the link to the policy? It might be possible to see if the clause was there earlier.
  • eezyrider said:
    Financial Ombudsman don't accept complaints unless you have exhausted complaints procedure. How can you if they don't respond?
    To answer the direct question, you can refer cases to the Financial Ombudsman after 8 weeks from making your complaint if the FS company has not responded.

Have you checked the complaint process for this product? Does it mention the FOS? Many of these types of products, warranties etc are not legally insurance policies and as such you do not have a right to take complaints to the Financial Ombudsman. 

eezyrider said:
    As luck would have it I switched bank accounts just after purchase so they won't get any money anyway. Probably why I didn't get an inflation charge mid-term.
    Just remember non-payment is not the same as cancelling a contract unless the contract explicitly states it is. For £20 the chances are they will simply write it off but in principle they could apply late payment fees and pass it to debt collectors etc.

• @DullGreyGuy complaints procedure does indeed refer to FOS - tried it, though in a different issue. The result was an email with a link back to their complaints procedure and a mark "resolved". In that regard, awaiting advice from CitizensAdvice, wait the 8 weeks, then FOS.
  • A nightmare company...I wish I had never contacted them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback