Pre-paid cards - which one is recommended?

Options
moneyunwise
moneyunwise Posts: 26 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 9 April 2022 at 6:46PM in Credit cards
I am looking to get a pre-paid credit/debit card so can anyone recommend one for an adult and one for a child? I don't mind if they are different card companies. 

I have read the article https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards/ and it seems that the Tesco Bank Clubcard Pay+ is a good one but the information on sites doesn't seem to match. 

Can I use Clubcard Pay+ to buy things in shops which are not Tescos i.e. go into a shop, stick my card in their card reader and enter a pin / tap on the card reader?

The pictures on the sites don't seem to show a name or account number on the card - is that right? I just wondered if shops would accept a card with no details on it.

Alternatively, does anyone recommend another pre-paid card?

Thanks

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pre-paid cards are very definitely a form of debit, not credit, cards.  There are occasional discussions about pre-paid cards on the Bank Accounts board (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/budgeting-bank-accounts), where you might find more responses than here on the Credit Card board 
  • moneyunwise
    moneyunwise Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks I will try a post there

• pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure you have a reason and maybe it is right for you, but bear in mind most of these prepaid card co's make their money charging you for either topping up, spending or both, or else charge a recurring fee. 

Personally I'd at least think about whether a normal bank account with debit card was right for the child, and either the same or a credit card for the adult.

If you are sure and do want advice on which is best people might be able to advise better with a little more info - would these be used for all daily/regular spending, would they be used for foreign currency spending?  One card might be better for lots of small transactions and another better for occasional larger ones, for example.  And some might be newfangled fintechs which issue "virtual cards" which need a smartphone & don't send a physical card - would that work for you or not?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2022 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Are these cards for UK use only - or also for travel ?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pjread said:

Personally I'd at least think about whether a normal bank account with debit card was right for the child
    This is a very good point.  We did exactly this with our kids - an ordinary bank account in their name, with an ordinary debit card, no overdraft facility.  So they can't spend what they don't have, the card is accepted everywhere, and the account is refloated by Mum & Dad as and when (!).  Also makes it very easy for grandparents or whatever to just transfer money straight into their account for birthdays, Christmas etc. if they want to.
    Depends why you're looking at a pre-paid card, obviously, but it's definitely worth considering.

• Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you want a good debit card for travel, look at Chase UK or Starling Bank. Both are current accounts w/o any hard credit check, and both give you a Mastercard with top exchange rates and no charges.

If you want a good credit card for travel, the Halifax Clarity card is the answer. That's also a Mastercard.

Remember to never travel with just one method of payment. Ideally, you'd want a Mastercard and a VISA card, or one of these with an Amex card.

I have read the article https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards/ and it seems that the Tesco Bank Clubcard Pay+ is a good one but the information on sites doesn't seem to match. 

Can I use Clubcard Pay+ to buy things in shops which are not Tescos i.e. go into a shop, stick my card in their card reader and enter a pin / tap on the card reader?

Yes, you can use the Clubcard Pay+ with any retailer which accepts VISA - i.e. just about everywhere. What's more, Tesco even pay you cashback in other shops, even after the introductory period inside Tesco finishes. It's a lovely card to have. However, for your first 12 months, you get better cashback with a Chase UK debit card which is also a lovely card to have.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Daliah said:
    If you want a good debit card for travel, look at Chase UK or Starling Bank. Both are current accounts w/o any hard credit check, and both give you a Mastercard with top exchange rates and no charges.

If you want a good credit card for travel, the Halifax Clarity card is the answer. That's also a Mastercard.

Remember to never travel with just one method of payment. Ideally, you'd want a Mastercard and a VISA card, or one of these with an Amex card.

Children can't have a credit card. The OP wants a card for a child.
    A "user friendly" debit card, as you suggest, is the best option.
    The Starling Kite deal looks ideal.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure