PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What are your worst or weirdest experiences from a vendor hosting the viewings?

Comments

• I once went to view a flat with a friend, and it contained a bit of a surprise. When we got there the agent knocked on the door, nobody answered, we went in, the agent shouted "hello?" and nobody answered (you can probably tell where this is going). We looked round the flat - living room was big, kitchen was nice, bedroom 1 was fine, then when we went into the second bedroom there was someone fast asleep in bed... which was a bit awkward! Anyway, we liked the flat and when we eventually moved in there were no more shocks :) 

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I posted on the previous thread about viewing a property with the agent, but the owner was there, and conscientiously showed me all the flaws in the property and told me all about the neighbours. 
    My viewing was a total waste of time as it was much more of a project that I was interested in, and neighbouring houses had a right of access across the garden which was a dealbreaker for me, so I was able to relax and enjoy the entertainment. (Although I did suggest to the agent afterwards that they they the  access point clear in the listing) 

I did also do another viewing where the owners teenage son, was asleep in bed when we did the viewing at about 2 p.m. The room absolutely stank of unwashed socks overlaid with Lynx.  The seller was three - I think in there position even if i couldn't get the teen out of bed I would have  opened the window to air the room out a bit, and perhaps have picked up all the directly clothes from the floor! 

My parents had one couple ho came to view their house who kept saying (as in, 15-20 times during the course of the viewing) "Wow, you have a lot of books" - which is true, they do, but all the bookshelves were shown in the photos, and they made the same comment multiple times in each room. Another viewer asked them what they did to stop the cows coming into the garden. While standing next to the solidly built stone wall between the garden and the field
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • tetrarch
    tetrarch Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just for balance, we viewed a property for my daughter a week ago. Mrs Tet and I got an early EA-accompanied look around on Thursday and then we went back mob-handed the next day, this time we met the Vendors (probate sale), one of whom actually only live three doors away.

This wasn't a viewing, this was an interview. The experience was incredible as they were delightful people and we put in a asking-price offer later the same day. We must have passed the interview as they took the property off the market and cancelled an open house/ EA  cascade of bookings the next day.

Regards

Tet

• natasha22
    natasha22 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In general I've much preferred our owner viewings. Its a bit awkward if your trying to point out a worrying crack or dodgy renovation to your partner but in general they are really helpful.

It's been useful to have the owner on hand to answer questions, rather than an agent hazarding a guess which you can already tell is wrong

Owners have been mine on information eg. We chose this layout because its really nice when the sun hits. Sometimes they are too honest!

We've had multiple viewings where they've been telling us about errors in the house or slagging off the neighbours or even saying stuff like "I hate this sofa but my wife loves it"

Our worst have been when people clearly don't want to move. We viewed a tenanted property where they were having a bbq with friends as we viewed, and a really sad one where the guy was getting divorced. We must of spent an hour with this guy telling us the grand plans that he had when he remortgaged only for his wife to have an affair, he told us about how he was struggling and "couldn't face" viewing flats for himself, loss of family life etc all while his kids were proudly showing up their bedrooms asking if we would buy it

We also had one where the owner had puppies. We loved the house so we sat through some graphic descriptions of birth including him lubricating bits and pieces. He didn't accept our offer and Its a description that will stay with me
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Woolsery said:

The agent's response?  "You're blacklisted!" He didn't  survive the Crash of 2008-9. The nursery was eventually sold and re-built as a small garden centre. I think it still struggles, but there really are plants there and they're alive !

Ohh that's harsh.

I did view a house one where the couple selling wanted 10k more than they bought it for 2 years ago despite obviouly not having cleaned it once. I said as much to the agent and they agreed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback