Vehicle warranty - why do we not get the full period of cover?

tempus_fugit
tempus_fugit Posts: 1,188
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 6 April 2022 at 11:31AM in Praise, vent & warnings
No doubt I will get loads of answers telling me I am wrong but honestly, I can’t see how they justify this. However, I do think it is wrong that a car warranty for, say, a year, only actually applies for around 10 or 11 months. The reason I say this is because although we know of an issue now, a month before the warranty runs out, the garages says that it has to be still in cover at the time they fix it, and they don’t have any slots available until next month. That’s having their cake and eating it, surely? If the issue happened during the warranty period then it should be covered. It would be like putting an insurance claim in for, say, water damage in the house before the insurance runs out, but as it won’t be repaired until it lapses then it’s not covered. This seems grossly unfair. On top of that, if we elect to renew the warranty it’s still not covered as it happened before that was taken out. You couldn’t make it up! Contacting the warranty people is a waste of time as they think we are referring to a vehicle recall and they can’t find one applying to our car. So you can never get the full period of cover from a warranty unless you can book it in for a repair on the day you find out about it.
Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,633
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had a repair under warranty 18 months after the warranty ran out.

It was reported within the warranty period took them 2 years and many visits to establish the fault and repair it

That was under the manufacturer's warranty.

A third party one may be less accommodating.

• Ath_Wat
    Ath_Wat Posts: 1,504
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's clearly absurd, but one of the truths of the world that I was first told by everyone (including a lot of car dealers) when I bought my first car at 18 was that third party car warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.  This is just one of the ways that is true.
    What particular warranty are you talking about here?
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Take it to another dealer who has an available date..
  • No doubt I will get loads of answers telling me I am wrong but honestly, I can’t see how they justify this. However, I do think it is wrong that a car warranty for, say, a year, only actually applies for around 10 or 11 months. The reason I say this is because although we know of an issue now, a month before the warranty runs out, the garages says that it has to be still in cover at the time they fix it, and they don’t have any slots available until next month. That’s having their cake and eating it, surely? If the issue happened during the warranty period then it should be covered. It would be like putting an insurance claim in for, say, water damage in the house before the insurance runs out, but as it won’t be repaired until it lapses then it’s not covered. This seems grossly unfair. On top of that, if we elect to renew the warranty it’s still not covered as it happened before that was taken out. You couldn’t make it up! Contacting the warranty people is a waste of time as they think we are referring to a vehicle recall and they can’t find one applying to our car. So you can never get the full period of cover from a warranty unless you can book it in for a repair on the day you find out about it.

What kind of warranty is it? Can't you take it elsewhere to get it looked at quicker?

In my experience of a third party warranty that could be used at any garage on a second hand car; they accepted any issue reported while in the warranty period even though the parts had to be ordered and the repair was carried out after it had expired and that didn't cause any issues.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback