IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Council hasn't contacted me re PCN appeal

Options
I received a PCN in November from a London Council for an (inadvertent) traffic offence.  I appealed online on the link they gave me and received an acknowledgement.

I then heard nothing from the council re my appeal and two days ago I received a Charge Certificate.

I believe the PCN should be void as they did not contact me within 56 days.   I will speak to them tomorrow but I am sure they are going to say they sent me a reply on such and such a date rejecting my appeal.  They didn't, and of course they don't use Recorded Delivery.

How do I stand - it seems to be the council's word against mine?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As we major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there but please note that a hotmail address won't work - try using a throwaway gmail account instead if you do have trouble registering and post a new thread; here's your link:

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 April 2022 at 9:43PM
    Options
    I think pepipoo will tell you to wait for the Order for Recovery.

At OFR stage you can then fill in TEC 7 and TEC9 forms (I think) to make 'out of time' (OOT) representations that you received no reply to your challenge and no NTO, and so you were denied the chance to appeal.

That rewinds it but it's quite a process.  Not straightforward. Pepipoo posters will take you through it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • frenesi
    Options
    Thanks for that Coupon-mad.  I have spoken to the council, who (surprise, surprise) say they sent the answer to my appeal. They have given me the option to email them saying I had never received it. They may roll back to the original fine, I'll see.

God forbid they would actually use recorded delivery for legal documents.

I'll consider my options when the council get back to me.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But if you just get the OFR next, you can't wait and must then go to pepipoo for help with the time-limited procedure.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback