Car boot advice

Options

Comments

• kimp22
    kimp22 Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably best yes and probably will take a flask need the money not wasting on food and drink there. The books my daughter has are mainly Jacqueline Wilson books and the online places don't seem to like them. She has all her books from years ago all hard back if they don't sell she could give them to the local school or something.

Kim
  • ladyholly
    ladyholly Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have always sold books at 50p each or 3 for a £.  A few carrier bags is sometimes helpful to customers although these days most have them. If it is an early morning one dress in layers as it may get warm later. A pack of wet wipes is useful as toilets at car boots often dont have washing faciilities and the most important thing (other than change and what you want to sell) is tea/ coffee etc especially on chilly mornings.. A camping chair is handy if you dont want to stand the whole time.  If possible one of you watch whats going on at your table while the other serves to help prevent theft.
    Good luck and have fun.

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At my local car boots, unless they’re dearer items, Children’s clothes tend to do better on the everything 50p/£1 (or whatever) pile. Saves sorting them and the people buying (from observation only) are those who might be on a tighter budget. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ineedaservant
    Options

Books, cd's and dvd's will sell best if they are cheap or in bundles (3 for a £1) . Used clothes (high street), under £5, don't try to sell worn, stained, ripped etc as this will put off people. Bric a Brac 20p upwards.

If you have new or special items, price them for double what you really want for them. The reason for this is that you can always come down. Dealers will expect to haggle and amateurs may pay the full amount anyway. Don't let yourself be hassled into a really cheap sale.

If possible have a bum bag for the money, keep notes in a separate compartment, preferably zipped. Have lots of change but don't give it out easily - £20 note given for 50p item. Say you will keep the item back for a short time to allow the customer to go and get change. They may well find they have the correct money then anyway.

Items such as jewellery need to be watched as they are easy to steal. An apron with all the jewellery pinned to it is an easy thing to wear so that customers have to ask to see the item.

Smile

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Books, cd's and dvd's will sell best if they are cheap or in bundles (3 for a £1) . Used clothes (high street), under £5, don't try to sell worn, stained, ripped etc as this will put off people. Bric a Brac 20p upwards.

If you have new or special items, price them for double what you really want for them. The reason for this is that you can always come down. Dealers will expect to haggle and amateurs may pay the full amount anyway. Don't let yourself be hassled into a really cheap sale.

If possible have a bum bag for the money, keep notes in a separate compartment, preferably zipped. Have lots of change but don't give it out easily - £20 note given for 50p item. Say you will keep the item back for a short time to allow the customer to go and get change. They may well find they have the correct money then anyway.

Items such as jewellery need to be watched as they are easy to steal. An apron with all the jewellery pinned to it is an easy thing to wear so that customers have to ask to see the item.

Smile

I agree.
    People looking to buy at car boots will also probably trawl round the charity shops so you need to be competitive price-wise.

• FlyingDolphin
    Options
    Ahhh, my favourite topic.

Whatever you do, do NOT open your car up as soon as you arrive. There will be plenty of people trying to get at your good stuff. These vultures work from car to car as they arrive and are looking to either get stuff for next to nothing, or even steal the good stuff. The people who turn up first are likely to be the most aggressive people.

When you arrive, lock your car, and if people ask you what you have, tell them you're waiting for a friend and will set up in 30 minutes. Go and get a cup of tea.

Otherwise, take lots of plastic bags, and lots of change.
  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car boots are really good fun - but don't overprice your stuff.
    Books are not usually a good seller.
    I have found toiletries, clothes. kids toys, any unwanted presents like socks etc are really easy to sell.
    Once had some new footballs I had won - sold them easily for £5 each.
    Have a quick look at others stalls/pitches and may sure you are competitve.
    Loads of change needed.
  • retailtherapist21
    Options
    I would suggest if you're unsure on what to charge you could label with you're ideal price or slightly higher then have a absolute minimum in mind you would be willing to go to.
    Maybe some offers e.g. £1 each or 3 for £2 etc

In general: seating, layers so you can warm up/cool down, food/snacks/drinks, change, cross body bag or bum bag for your money, phone or calculator depending on your maths ability.

Also if you're items are new/in good condition have you considered the reselling apps like Vinted, Ebay, Depop? You might get a better price.
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have seen stallholders spend nearly all their profit at the Burger Van so do take a hot drink if you can and even a bar of chocolate or a banana, much cheaper than the Burger Van.
    Yes, although you can't beat a nice bacon butty in the morning. Assuming you eat meat and like bacon.
    Come on you Irons
  • messia07
    messia07 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    don't want to sound negative but there is some thieves at these carboots. best to take things you don't care about to sell. it seems trainers and games get stolen quite often. 

thats why your often see only one trainer put on display, the other one is kept in the sellers car.

and unfortunately i've met several carboot sellers who have had their computer games stolen. the thieves will steal the game disc or buy one game and bundle the discs together leaving the seller with just empty cases.

ive not seen anyone do it yet but for more expensive computer games (£5-£10), i would recommend also keeping the game discs in your car and putting a note in the game case, ie "ask seller for game disc".

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback