Balance Transfer Partial

Hi All,

New to the forum, I want to be debt free and have been reading through a lot of posts and the debt free guides on MSE and have recently cleared a few debts (stupidly it wasn't a very efficient way of paying it off, but what's done is done).

I have two debts remaining, both credit cards. I looked at my eligibility for a balance transfer credit card and it suggested I could get one at a lower interest rate than my current two with a 36 month 0% balance transfer period but with a credit limit at a fraction of the debt of either of my existing cards (15% of my total debt) so it would mean I would have 3 credit cards. I suspect that I can only get this credit limit due to the fact I recently went over the limit on my credit cards and also have recently missed payments for the previously mentioned, now cleared, debts.

The question is this, should I take this offer as it is lower interest and will at least put a fraction (about 15%) of my existing debt into 0% interest, or should I wait a few months for my credit score to recover and try to get a better interest rate / larger credit limit?

One other question I have is that I have around £2,000 in savings which I am planning to spend (read need to) over the next 3 months, would it be sensible to use that money now to pay towards a credit card and then use the credit card to do my planned spending or is it more sensible to keep the separation between paying off/spending?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2022 at 5:06PM
    Transfer what you can and start saving on interest. Apply for another to see if you can move more.

You could use some of cash to clear the interest bearing balance, but avoid putting on more debt, unless at 0%.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Ezdan
    Have you looked at the website pages on how to improve your credit score?  That might help you get a better idea of how your score will change in a few months and anything else you can do to improve it in the meantime. 
    Good luck
    RB
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    With credit cards I recommend setting up a direct debit for minimum payment so that even if something goes wrong you do not get a late payment marker.

The other thing that makes a big difference is being on the electoral roll - you can opt out of the open register
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As always, its credit history that counts, not some old number generated by companies wanting to sell you things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback