Beefeater “Mums Eat Free” voucher for Mothers Day

Witnean
Witnean Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 30 March 2022 at 12:33PM in Praise, vent & warnings
We received a Beefeater “Mums Eat Free” voucher for Mothers Day 27th March.
I booked for 8 people and had a great meal served by friendly staff.
There was a set menu for Mothers Day starting with 2 courses for £16.95 or 3 courses for £19.95.
When I tried to use the voucher I was told that it did not apply to the set menu as it was already discounted.
I pointed out that the terms and conditions of the voucher stated:
This offer entitles the guest (including parents, carers, spouses, partners or friends) to a free main meal from our main restaurant menu, or up to 3 courses from the Mother’s Day set menu.”
I was only allowed a discount for a main course which meant that I had to pay for the sweet.
Our friends who used their voucher were only discounted £6 which is not even the cost of a main meal.
The manager restated it could not be used for a menu that had already been discounted.

Comments

• Ath_Wat
    Ath_Wat Posts: 1,504
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So what did he say when you asked him to explain what " up to 3 courses from the Mother’s Day set menu.” meant?
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 848
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They can't make things up as they go along. An offer is an offer and if the manager restated it could not be used for a menu that had already been discounted that wording should have been on the voucher.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Ath_Wat
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sicard said:
    They can't make things up as they go along. An offer is an offer and if the manager restated it could not be used for a menu that had already been discounted that wording should have been on the voucher.
    That general statement probably was on the voucher (not being able to use these kinds of vouchers on set menus is standard and almost every one I have ever seen says something along those line), but the point the OP is making is that in this case the voucher specifically said it could be used on the meal she wanted to use it for.
    Quite possibly there were two contradictory statements on the voucher, one saying you could use it on the mother's day set menu and the other saying it couldn't be combined with any other offer.

The manager needed to be forced into accepting this at the time and not allowed to just hide behind the one statement while ignoring the existence of the other, which appears to be what happened.

• Ath_Wat
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    Ath_Wat said:
    Sicard said:
    That general statement probably was on the voucher (not being able to use these kinds of vouchers on set menus is standard and almost every one I have ever seen says something along those line), but the point the OP is making is that in this case the voucher specifically said it could be used on the meal she wanted to use it for.
    Quite possibly there were two contradictory statements on the voucher, one saying you could use it on the mother's day set menu and the other saying it couldn't be combined with any other offer.

The manager needed to be forced into accepting this at the time and not allowed to just hide behind the one statement while ignoring the existence of the other, which appears to be what happened.

Agreed.
    However, it's not that easy when you are in a party of 8, are out for a special celebration and have had a really good time to stand your ground and argue the toss.
    The OP did try to get the discount but I guess decided not to push it any further.

I'd write to Beefeater head office and complain.
    Indeed, it is all about how much fuss you are prepared to make.

For me, I think his refusal to acknowledge what was written in black and white would have been far more annoying than any money involved so I wouldn't have let it go.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,471
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I wouldn't have let it go either - if I was on my own.

But my Mum and Dad would have been upset and embarrassed if I'd made more fuss than querying the use of the voucher.
    And as the purpose of the meal for the OP was a Mother's Day treat and was enjoyable until they came to pay, I can see why they didn't.
  • Ath_Wat
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh, so can I.  Different people behave in different ways; you have to do whatever suits you.
  • Beefeater, and others in the group, only offer discount on main meals. Set meals do not attract a discount. 
    I work from home so my cat can be fed on demand!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That is that is not what the offer said.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Beefeater, and others in the group, only offer discount on main meals. Set meals do not attract a discount. 
    You need to read to OP again. It includes the set menu.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback