🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My plan - comments welcome/requested!

Options
Hi,

I am almost five years into buying my first home, which was financed by a deposit, a five year fixed 35 year mortgage, and a 20% Help to Buy Equity element.

During this time I have been saving and overpaying my mortgage as fast as I can. Recently running the forecast I am aiming to be debt free in just over a year.

My plan is quite aggressive, and has been the result of living as frugally as possible, and working as hard as I can to maximise my income:

August 2017 - house purchased
Student loans £17k (originally £22k)
Mortgage £193k
Help to buy equity £53k
Total debt £263k

March 2022 - today
Student loans £0
Mortgage £95k - maxed out overpayments
Help to buy equity £50k - house price fell 
Total debt £145k

Plan at end of fixed term
I plan to put all my savings except for £10k against the Help to buy, and then the mortgage at the end of the fixed period.

This will leave me with a mortgage of £45k at the end of the fixed period.

I can then pay all available cash against this for around 10 months, and then be debt free.

What is everyone’s view of this plan. I guess the risk is that I’m liquidating all of my investments and will only have £10k cash.

I plan to leave the mortgage on the variable rate and not remortgage to avoid the costs and inflexibility of remortgage. Meaning I will be on a higher 4.5% rate, but I think works out as a saving overall.

Comments

• powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow that’s impressive!! 

To be honest I don’t think the detail matters as you are paying off so quickly and are obviously very motivated to get the mortgage gone. Normally I mention things like pensions and other investments as an alternative/ mixed portfolio but a year is going to make no difference overall. 

What are your post mortgage plans? 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

• xepija8686
    xepija8686 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

What are your post mortgage plans? 
    I guess rebuild savings so I am ready for eventual retirement. Or to look after me.
  • Nurse2047
    Nurse2047 Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Incredible. Well done! Review pensions etc when time allows so that is set up for you once your MF 👍😃
    Nurse striving for financial freedom
  • Cornish_mum
    Cornish_mum Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow impressive OPs. I think in the short term sounds like a great plan. I would definitely look at an EF and pensions next. Edinburgher has a thread on this board about FIRE/pensions planning that might be a useful read. Also BusyMee old thread on her preparations for retirement might be worth a look.

Also I suggest that plan a new goal for what to do post mortgage, it could be financial/personal doesn’t matter. 
  • L9XSS
    L9XSS Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow that is impressive! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts