Son moving back home; will our benefits be affected?

Mickpeasoup
Mickpeasoup Posts: 64 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
edited 28 March 2022 at 11:22AM in Benefits & tax credits
My Stepson, 22 years old, is moving back in with us due to financial hardship.

I'm in receipt of PIP, UC (LCWRA), and my partner is in receipt of carers allowance for me.

He is not currently working due to a recent redundancy, and hasn't yet put in a claim for JSA or any other benefit.

Can anybody please tell me if our benefits, housing benefit, or Council tax award will be affected when he moves back, and if so, is there any way things can be mitigated?

Many thanks.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March 2022 at 11:34AM
    When you say housing benefit I assume you mean the housing element of UC.

Normally your son would be expected to contribute towards the rent but because you get daily Living PIP that will not be the case.

If there is a shortfall between your housing element and your actual rent you should see the housing element increase because you will be allowed an extra bedroom for your son.

For CTR the rules vary between local authorities so it will depend on the rules of your local scheme. 

(If he claims new style JSA that is only payable for six months and entitlement depends on his NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21. He will get Class 1 credits while claiming JSA. Alternatively he can claim UC which will continue beyond six months but only gives Class 3 NI credits.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't think your PIP or carers allowance will be, your UC might be.

I think that there is a standard deduction from the element of UC for housing, as there is a presumption that any other adult will be helping towards the housing costs.

Have you looked at Turn2Us or entitledto.org.uk to see what impact having another adult in the house would have? 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • calcotti
    edited 28 March 2022 at 11:35AM
    TBagpuss said:I think that there is a standard deduction from the element of UC for housing, as there is a presumption that any other adult will be helping towards the housing costs.
    Not applicable because OP gets Daily Living PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TBagpuss said:

I think that there is a standard deduction from the element of UC for housing, as there is a presumption that any other adult will be helping towards the housing costs.

As the OP is in receipt of Daily Living PIP there will be no non-dependant deduction applied, as calcotti has advised.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non_dependants
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Many thanks for the replies, guys.

Always good information on here, & I'm very grateful.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but what benefit would you suggest is best for him to claim? He's recently been made redundant & wants to work - so should he initiate a UC or JSA claim?
  • calcotti
    edited 31 March 2022 at 8:51PM
    He's recently been made redundant & wants to work - so should he initiate a UC or JSA claim?
    JSA is payable for six months only.
  • calcotti said:
    He's recently been made redundant & wants to work - so should he initiate a UC or JSA claim?
    JSA is payable for six months only.
    So, perhaps initially claim this, then when 6 months expires migrate to UC?

To be honest, I would envisage him being employed prior to the 6 months expiration date.
  • calcotti
    So, perhaps initially claim this, then when 6 months expires migrate to UC?
    If he meets the contribution requirements (complete NI record for tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21), yes. As a single claimant with no housing costs it makes no financial difference which he claims.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback