We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Going green(er) with a Viessmann 200W (& heating efficiency home improvements)

Options
Screwdriva
Screwdriva Posts: 1,188 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 1 December 2022 at 10:41AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Following the success of our heating gas saving measures, we've decided to install polypipe underfloor heating on the ground floor of our semi-detached, paired with a new 19kW Viessman 100-W compact heat only boiler.  

Reasons for going with Viessman boiler are:

1) Ability of the boiler to modulate down to < 3 kW (1:10 modulation ratio), which is quite incredible! 
2) Weather compensation 
3) Load compensation via Nest 
4) Hot water prioritization
5) 10 year warranty for a relatively well made German boiler that is H2 compatible. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with our 5 year old Worcester Bosch 18Ri heat only boiler but it cannot achieve this level of theoretical efficiency, as it lacks the above functionality. We also looked at air source heat pumps but came away feeling that these are simply too nascent a technology today. 

Here is the episode of the completed project. Heating efficiency gains will be shared in the coming winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHD_-i5ulms
-  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
-  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
-  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,142 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WE have a 10 year old 19kwh 200-w, similar but I think only modulates down to 4kwh , hasn't been great tbh, seems to use more gas than you would expect and not as reliable as we would have hoped (fine until the 5 year warranty ran out but then pretty dodgy)
    I think....
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2022 at 9:52AM
    Options
    1)  I bought an Atag gas boiler in 1998 which could modulate down very low.
    2)  Likewise it had weather compensation and load compensation.  This was 24 years ago
    3)  Load Compensation via Opentherm.  Any Opentherm-compatible controller should do weather and load compensation.  You'll need the right wiring though, not what you have at present.
    4)  Are there really boilers that don't prioritise hot water?
    5)  A 10 year warranty is good.  I would be very surprised if you see any H2 in the next 10 years and you may find that you have to pay for the mod. that makes it work.
    Reed
  • Screwdriva
    Options
    1)  I bought an Atag gas boiler in 1998 which could modulate down very low.
    2)  Likewise it had weather compensation and load compensation.  This was 24 years ago
    3)  Load Compensation via Opentherm.  Any Opentherm-compatible controller should do weather and load compensation.  You'll need the right wiring though, not what you have at present.
    4)  Are there really boilers that don't prioritise hot water?
    5)  A 10 year warranty is good.  I would be very surprised if you see any H2 in the next 10 years and you may find that you have to pay for the mod. that makes it work.
    Didn't realize that condensing boilers have been around that long! Thanks for sharing! 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with our 5 year old Worcester Bosch 18Ri heat only boiler but it cannot achieve this level of theoretical efficiency, as it lacks the above functionality.
    Not wishing to be a gloomster, but it seems a lot of work and expense to save maybe 5% on your annual gas consumption.
    (That's just my wet-finger estimate; your current boiler should be 85-90% efficient and so there's not much room for improvement.)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

1) Ability of the boiler to modulate down to < 2kW (1:10 modulation ratio), which is quite incredible! 

Hi @Screwdriva, do you have a ref to this figure?  Looking at Viessman's info, they just quote a minimum figure of 2.9 - 3.2 kW, dependant on flow temperature.  In comparison, your WB has a quoted minimum output of 5.54 kW, so yes the Viessman can go significantly lower.

Beyond that, they are pretty similar in efficiency figures.  Your WB is quoted at 86.9% efficiency for a high flow temperature, and 97.6% at 30 ℃ return temperature.

The 100-W is quoted as 88.2% and 98.0% in comparison, so maybe a 1.3% improvement at best.

I saw you mention low flow temperature in your other thread.  Are you heating the DHW tank using the immersion heater or renewables rather than with the boiler?
  • Screwdriva
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Not wishing to be a gloomster, but it seems a lot of work and expense to save maybe 5% on your annual gas consumption.

No worries - all feedback is useful. To be fair, my installer was transparent about this and said that it'll be around 10% improvement given the existing Greenstar boilers lack all the above efficiency measures + the greater surface area of the underfloor heating. 

We're hoping the underfloor heating will increase comfort levels substantially for us as we're currently "under-radiated".

• ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Absolutely nothing wrong with our 5 year old Worcester Bosch 18Ri heat only boiler but it cannot achieve this level of theoretical efficiency, as it lacks the above functionality.
    (That's just my wet-finger estimate; your current boiler should be 85-90% efficient and so there's not much room for improvement.)
    Sorry to pile in on the negativity but I'd also question installing a new gas boiler when it's technology that's being phased out. Maybe if your previous one failed and a heat pump isn't for you right now, but I wouldn't want to be replacing one newish gas boiler with another when it's likely to be legacy technology soon.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you looked at electric boilers?
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Magnitio said:
    Have you looked at electric boilers?
    Mostly on this forum we look at them and then run screaming in the other direction!

But there are some interesting new developments such as this:

Not sure I would want to be an early adopter, but I quite like the concept.

6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure