Positive balance on credit card - effect on s75 claims

Options
ERICS_MUM
ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 26 March 2022 at 3:12AM in Credit cards
Say someone has a positive balance on their credit card caused by a refund or over payment.  Obviously this will be used when the credit card is used.  If the goods or services bought are not “satisfactory” would s75 apply even though strictly speaking the credit limit on the card was not used ?

thanks

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't know the answer - but if the positive balance is significant, why not get it credited back to your current account? I would hazard a guess that any spend on the card is covered no matter what. If it's a few pounds, spend it away, but if it's in the hundreds or thousands I would definitely be getting it back into my bank account.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Usually you are not be allowed to put your CC in a credit position, even is a breach of many T/C to do this.. But it would have a effect on a S75 as you are no longer borrowing funds.
    Life in the slow lane
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    don't forget you only have to pay part on credit to get s75 protection

eg if your positive balance was £500 and you bought something for £501 you would be covered.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Odd - I can't find anything about what your balance may or may not be in relation to the price of an item on anything about S75.  Everything seems to point to "using your credit card to make a purchase" rather than borrowing money from a card provider to make a purchase.  This would say to me that the card balance - credit or debit - is immaterial.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think.your s75 rights arise when you buy something on credit - doesn't have to be a credit card of course it could equally be another form of credit finance.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ERICS_MUM said:
    Say someone has a positive balance on their credit card caused by a refund or over payment.  Obviously this will be used when the credit card is used.  If the goods or services bought are not “satisfactory” would s75 apply even though strictly speaking the credit limit on the card was not used ?

I wouldn't risk it, an over payment especially. You will only find out when it's too late.

• FeaturelessVoid
    Options
    cx6 said:
    I think.your s75 rights arise when you buy something on credit - doesn't have to be a credit card of course it could equally be another form of credit finance.
    Correct, and if you use a credit balance you have no S75 protection.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Best bet call card co & ask them. 

Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts