Possible Issues with Ebay GSP?

It might just be me, but in last 36 hours I have had 2 offers on items I have on auction cancelled by buyers.
Both are overseas (US and Germany), both for similar types of items and both say they didn't realise the delivery charges.
Now I only have GSP listed for non-domestic sales and would put 1 down to carelessness, but 2 makes me wonder?
May you find your sister soon Helli.
Sleep well.

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    70.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    TripleH said:
    It might just be me, but in last 36 hours I have had 2 offers on items I have on auction cancelled by buyers.
    Both are overseas (US and Germany), both for similar types of items and both say they didn't realise the delivery charges.
    Now I only have GSP listed for non-domestic sales and would put 1 down to carelessness, but 2 makes me wonder?
    The price including extra delivery costs are clearly shown to the buyer before they bid, it’s buyer error. From my own experience when this happened with an American buyer he didn’t understand the charges he was being shown so ignored them on the basis that he was in America and so was eBay so any overseas charges were not applicable. 
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soolin said:The price including extra delivery costs are clearly shown to the buyer before they bid, it’s buyer error. From my own experience when this happened with an American buyer he didn’t understand the charges he was being shown so ignored them on the basis that he was in America and so was eBay so any overseas charges were not applicable. 
    It makes a change from Americans assuming that all prices are in US Dollars ...

70.5K Posts
    Ambassador
    martindow said:
    soolin said:The price including extra delivery costs are clearly shown to the buyer before they bid, it’s buyer error. From my own experience when this happened with an American buyer he didn’t understand the charges he was being shown so ignored them on the basis that he was in America and so was eBay so any overseas charges were not applicable. 
    It makes a change from Americans assuming that all prices are in US Dollars ...

Very true, or a very memorable one from probably 20 years ago from a college student who was on on a sports tour in The Netherlands and asked if he could get to me easily from the stadium somewhere in Holland after his match but before curfew. Apparently the teachers said that Europe is a tiny land mass considerably smaller than most US states - and ignored things like the Channel :(
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
  • TripleHTripleH Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks both.
    I know from travelling another common error is asking which part of England people are from. Does irk with non-English Britons.

May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
    70.5K Posts
    Ambassador
    TripleH said:
    Thanks both.
    I know from travelling another common error is asking which part of England people are from. Does irk with non-English Britons.

In fairness I suspect a good percentage of British people also don't know the difference between England, Ireland (NI) Scotland etc and that's even before we get onto the Welsh. During lockdown on a forum I frequent there were frequent mini arguments about whether xx shop or chain of pubs was open as 'their' local one was (or wasn't) and they are in Britain- forgetting that they might be a different side of the Scottish/English or Welsh/English etc border. It actually got quite heated.

The situation was getting a bit daft with someone posting a photo of them enjoying a meal and a drink in a pub whilst having accusations of lying aimed at them from people living in a different part who were still in full lockdown. Some people were , and probably still are, completely bewildered by the fact that the lockdown rules between the various nations could be different- something I will have to remember when I go up to Scotland shortly (I believe masks are still required?)
  • ElefantEdElefantEd Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soolin said:

The situation was getting a bit daft with someone posting a photo of them enjoying a meal and a drink in a pub whilst having accusations of lying aimed at them from people living in a different part who were still in full lockdown. Some people were , and probably still are, completely bewildered by the fact that the lockdown rules between the various nations could be different- something I will have to remember when I go up to Scotland shortly (I believe masks are still required?)
    Yes, masks still required! OTOH you will still be able to get free lateral flow test kits after the start of April.

• Laura0866Laura0866 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    I’ve always found the GSP really good. Always sent it tracked to the centre though just in case
    70.5K Posts
    Ambassador
    Laura0866 said:
    I’ve always found the GSP really good. Always sent it tracked to the centre though just in case

For me it makes no difference, I only use tracked for items over £50 or if the item needs a courier due to size and the courier price includes tracking. My standard parcels have delivery confirmation so that is sufficient unless I need to use signed for due to value. My large letters I just send and would claim if one doesn't arrive (again though if item needs more than the basic insurance I might use signed for)

I never upgrade my postage unless I have to, I pay enough to send things anyway.