Another TSB fiasco

Options
Looks like a lot of TSB customers have had 'duplicate payments' taken from their accounts this morning - I checked my balance and sure enough I'm £162 down! :s

Been on hold to their customer service for almost 30 minutes but think they're just not answering people now, phones must be in meltdown.

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 March 2022 at 11:11AM
    Options
    This happened to us, in our case a bank transfer payment of £248 made on 28 Feb.

We have the direct telephone number to our local branch, and Mr S has just spoken to the branch manager...

Very apologetic.  Yes, it's an IT glitch which has double-tapped payments made on that date.  They are busy sorting it, and aim to get the money back into accounts asap - and will waive any charges incurred if someone goes overdrawn as a result of the error.

Not a problem for us, but possibly a major one for anyone who lives month to month.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    Options
    We have the direct telephone number to our local branch, and Mr S has just spoken to the branch manager...

Very apologetic.  Yes, it's an IT glitch which has double-tapped payments made on that date.  They are busy sorting it, and aim to get the money back into accounts asap - and will waive any charges incurred if someone goes overdrawn as a result of the error.
    Out of curiosity, is the branch manager suggesting that the branch staff are actively involved in resolving this, or does the reference to 'they' just signify TSB collectively?
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    eskbanker said:

Out of curiosity, is the branch manager suggesting that the branch staff are actively involved in resolving this, or does the reference to 'they' just signify TSB collectively?
    'They' as TSB collectively.  It"s a main IT glitch rather than a local bank thing.

We had a couple of direct debits go out on the 28th which weren't duplicated - got the impression that the problem is limited to bank transfers.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker said:

'They' as TSB collectively.  It"s a main IT glitch rather than a local bank thing.
    Thanks, that's what I'd have expected, I just wasn't sure whether you were citing direct access to the branch manager as helping with information or action!
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:

Thanks, that's what I'd have expected, I just wasn't sure whether you were citing direct access to the branch manager as helping with information or action!
    It's just that our branch manager is 'old school' and was happy to give out his personal business card to certain customers.

Sadly, our branch will be in the next cull.  Not sure yet what we will do.
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Looks like a lot of TSB customers have had 'duplicate payments' taken from their accounts this morning - I checked my balance and sure enough I'm £162 down! :s

Been on hold to their customer service for almost 30 minutes but think they're just not answering people now, phones must be in meltdown.

Given that they're aware of the issue, have told people and are fixing it, and no doubt will have to pay out some compensation, what does it gain you to sit on the phone for half an hour, along with all these other people, all of whom will be told what they are telling you on social media - they know about it, they are fixing it and being on the phone to them will make absolutely zipp difference to the outcome?

Cheers, thanks for that. Reminds me now why I rarely ever bother visiting or typing anything on this forum anymore.. always someone ready with a dig. Have a nice day.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just checked and you don't have to contact them as it will automatically be refunded, so no need to sit on a phone line or queue up at your local branch (presuming you've still got one). It looks like payments made on the 28th of Feb (it will show as 2nd of March on your statement) via your card, not DD. I'm down about £140 or so myself.
  • moneyman_34
    Options
    on a quick check i seem to be £26 worse off, i think its a little more as i am down more than i should be but can only see one double transaction.

Hope everyone who has money taken out gets it back soon so they can sort everything out. TSB have some explaining to do. It's not always easy to live these days and its made even harder when things like this happen.

Hope you are all okay
    Remaining Debt - starting - £1609.44/current - £1457.73

• Silvertabby
    edited 15 March 2022 at 7:17PM
    Options
    Seems it's payments made by debit cards on 28 Feb.  Possible that a lot of people haven't noticed yet.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback