£18.50 to fit a watch battery!

My watch needs a new battery so while my wife was shopping in Tesco I popped into the Timpson instore and asked the price to replace the battery in my watch.

£18.50 I was told or if you want a lifetime battery £24.50.

I think I will buy a new watch.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Or try an alternative cheaper local trader. There's one on my market whose much more reasonably priced. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JohnSwift10
    JohnSwift10 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    cx6 said:
    Or buy a battery from eBay and fit it yourself.
    Last time I tried that I broke the watch glass and had to buy a new watch.
    It might be OK for some people to do that but not with 76 year old arthritic fingers. 

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    £18.50 I was told or if you want a lifetime battery £24.50.

I think I will buy a new watch.
    Depends on how disposable you consider your watches to be... I've a couple of watches and the oldest must be coming up to 10 battery changes, at £2.45 per change I don't think that's bad value at all given they are clearly on risk if they break/damage it etc and clearly when I bought its "lifetime battery" it was a lot less than £24.50
  • JohnSwift10
    JohnSwift10 Posts: 283 Forumite
    cx6 said:
    cx6 said:
    Or buy a battery from eBay and fit it yourself.
    Last time I tried that I broke the watch glass and had to buy a new watch.
    It might be OK for some people to do that but not with 76 year old arthritic fingers. 

The secret is that you remove the back to replace the battery, not the glass 🙂
    OH! that's where I went wrong.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One of the lines I often sell is old watches , some are still new enough to need batteries and I have a simple tool , paid about £1.50 that easily removes the back to get at the battery. I don’t go anywhere near the front or the glass. I buy batteries for around 10p a go. Occasionally I get a very stubborn back, nothing gets it off , but that’s rare- and then I just sell them in batches, usually on Facebook, as not working and let someone else worry about it. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    There is a stall holder on the twice weekly market in my town who will  put in a new watch battery for £2.50.  Never had an issue with the longevity of the battery supplied.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I used Timpson to replace my watch battery about 3 years ago and got one of their “lifetime battery” options which cost £16.

The battery gave up working recently but I couldn’t find the receipt (2 house moves didn’t help) :/

I got someone in a local market to replace it, cost £6.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback