Petrol prices

I don’t know if this an appropriate place but I would like to thank our local Morrison’s for selling petrol this morning for less than £1.50 litre.  Unsurprisingly it was very busy.  

Comments

• I don’t know if this an appropriate place but I would like to thank our local Morrison’s for selling petrol this morning for less than £1.50 litre.  Unsurprisingly it was very busy.  

Which Morrisons is that?
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,273
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I noticed yesterday that Morrison's had the cheapest price here (south Birmingham) at 152.9, Sainsbury's are usually cheaper but I checked and they were 5p more, sadly the forecourt was closed so nobody could buy it anyway! It's certainly possible that the price has dropped again today given the fall in spot prices.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I noticed yesterday that Morrison's had the cheapest price here (south Birmingham) at 152.9, Sainsbury's are usually cheaper but I checked and they were 5p more, sadly the forecourt was closed so nobody could buy it anyway! It's certainly possible that the price has dropped again today given the fall in spot prices.
    Forecourt prices could lag spot oil prices by anything up to a week. Takes time to filter through the system, i.e. crude oil to be refined and distributed. 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2022 at 7:59AM
    As I sat waiting to fill up on the forecourt the other day I pondered why it is that the petrol retail business is allowed to advertise pricing in a fraction of a penny. For as long as I can remember petrol has been sold per litre as £xxx.9. Why price at say 162.9p per litre and not 163p per litre?

The half penny was taken out of circulation in 1984 which should have been the last of the fractional pricing on any goods.

Anyone know why this is permitted and is not addressed?
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Westin said:
    As I sat waiting to fill up on the forecourt the other day I pondered why it is that the petrol retail business is allowed to advertise pricing in a fraction of a penny. For as long as I can remember petrol has been sold per litre as £xxx.9. Why price at say 162.9p per litre and not 163p per litre?

The half penny was taken out of circulation in 1984 which should have been the last of the fractional pricing on any goods.

Surely there is nothing stopping other goods that are priced per litre/metre doing fractional prices. So fabric could be 7.5p per metre, so if you only pay 1m it is rounded to 8p.

Realistically nothing (including petrol really) is that cheap that it is worth doing so. Its just an oddity of fuel now.
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,190
    Forumite
    Forecourt prices could lag spot oil prices by anything up to a week. Takes time to filter through the system, i.e. crude oil to be refined and distributed. 
    Most supermarkets buy their fuel in bulk 3 weeks before it arrives at their forecourt, hence why they have been much cheaper in the last 2 weeks or so compared to the independent forecourts who buy fuel as & when needed.
  • Westin said:

It's all just marketing and ASDA do it to XXX.7p to stand out from all the other XXX.9p prices.

But why should it not be permitted and why does it need to be addressed?

You do realise if they advertised prices as 163p instead of 162.9p as per your example then most people will pay more as they usually put in multiple litres of fuel at a time. So it's not like the current system is costing anyone more.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,222
    Forumite
    Superman 3 refers.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,248
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I don’t know if this an appropriate place but I would like to thank our local Morrison’s for selling petrol this morning for less than £1.50 litre.  Unsurprisingly it was very busy.  

Which Morrisons is that?
    Yeovil in Somerset 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,550
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Started heading in the right direction at last.  My local Esso is down to 155.9 from 161.9 this morning from 163.9 on Friday,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback