Conservatory roof claim - new panel or new roof..?

We had a conservatory roof panel (polycarbonate) damaged in the storm which now needs replacing. I’ve been told it can be replaced but that due to the age of the rest of the panels it will look completely different and stick out like a sore thumb - not just because they’re old/discoloured but because the panels are made in a completely different way now. I had a surveyor out from the insurance company who said they will replace the damaged panel but they would not replace the other panels. So I’m faced with having one mis-matching panel or paying out of my own pocket for the rest of the panels. I guess what I’m asking is am I being unreasonable expecting the insurance company to pay out for the rest of the panels? Should the roof be treated as a whole whereby if the aesthetic is ruined by a part repair, the payout should be for the whole roof? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2022 at 12:21AM
    The same as a patch in a tarmac drive, it will look out of place but they are under no obligation to replace the whole thing, just repair the damage to bring it back into "working order"
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2022 at 3:25AM
    Do forgive me if this is completely out of the question but would it be possible for you to have the panel replaced and then paint all of the panels with some anti-glare paint? Or any other kind of conservatory roof paint?

A quick google came up with this -  https://www.homelogic.co.uk/anti-glare-paint-for-conservatory-roofs-what-does-it-offer

And as for the insurance I guess it depends on the small print of your policy. If the other panels are functional then the insurance company's only job is to replace the damaged panel/s. It's not for them to bother about aesthetics. 

Also -  how often are you going to be sitting and gawping up at your conservatory roof? Life's too short to be wasting large sums of money replacing conservatory roof panels that don't need replacing. I think, anyway.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Thanks both, and I’ll look into the paint. I guess if I had damage to my brick work in a small area and the bricks were no longer available I wouldn’t expect them to pay for the rebuild of my entire house! Time to start saving towards a new conservatory roof then… 🙄
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback