We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Alliance & Leicester Identity Protection

Options
I called A&L yesterday to have my new debit card verified. The operator tried to sell me Identity Protection insurance but I felt that the sales patter was heavy handed and designed to scare me into taking it out. I was told that one in four of the population is likely to suffer from identity fraud because of the huge increase in the crime. I was also told that I would be financially responsible if someone used my details to obtain a mortgage or some other credit. When I queried this I was told it may be possible to clear my name but it would be a long drawn out affair. I'm not saying insurance is a bad idea but I not sure that the information she gave me was correct. Is it me or does anyone else feel the same about A&L.

Comments

• talkshop
    talkshop Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I took out a bank loan with A&L they were trying to convince me that I would not get accepted for the loan unless I took out their payment protection insurance.

I just stuck to my guns and said I didn't want any insurance, and I was still accepted for the loan.

The only people that benefit from insurance is the sales staff, as they get a hefty bonus for every policy sold, hence the hard sell.
  • MrsMillar
    MrsMillar Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I had the exact same thing yesterday. The poor bloke I was talking to: there was no way I was going to take out the insurance, but I let him carry on with his spiel (I am always interested to see how far they'll go). He went on forever - his script was clearly pages long.....

Some of the things he told me I believe not to be true:
    He told me that identity theft had been "decriminalised" (although, bizarrely for a non-crime, the police would still give me a crime no.).
    He told me that I would be held legally liable for any loans taken out in my name due to identity theft (really?)

When I told him I wanted to think about it before signing up to what was in effect a cold call he was incredulous. He suggested I might want to sign up for a year in the first instance and think about it during that time.....

I nearly told him that I thought he was scaremongering, but in the end I told him I was going to have to hang up on him as I was due to go out (true). He simply could not accept that I didn’t want this insurance.

Martin clearly states in his article that this sort of insurance is a waste of money (so I hope I did the right thing). I think it is outrageous that this sort of sales pitch is being used to scare people into buying this insurance. I don’t blame the individual employee – he’s just doing his job, but shame on the companies that prey on peoples’ legitimate fears in this way.
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    Odd that they have been doing this hard sell. I opened current account with them and when I rung to activate card they asked if I had card protection, I said yes (even though I don't - just don't want it) and they were fine with it, didn't mention it again.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • tomlinsj
    Options
    Identity protection does affect 1 in 4 - (Which? 2007) You are guilty until proven innocent in Identity protection. e.g. Credit is taken out in your name and date of birth, address, NI number so as far as the lenders know it is you!!! How do you prove its not...that takes time & costs - The police will not investigate it, but you will get a crime number - this will be for card fraud, not identity protection.

Ive got both Identity & Card insurance....worth every penny!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure