We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should she take the maximum maintenance grant?

I am recently separated and on a low income. My daughter lives with me and is applying for uni. Her dad will top up any funding. 
My querie is, she could get more grant by declaring my income ( as we be been advised to do ) but this will mean she ends up in more debt than her sister who is already at uni and claiming the minimum based on their dads income. 
What’s best for her to do? Declare my wage or his? Take the minimum or as much as she can get?


  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,423 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Consider it a graduate tax not a debt, as anything not paid off is eventually wiped.

    Unless she is going to be a relatively high earner, with no career breaks, it is likely that she will not pay the balance + interest in full. As repayments are fixed at 9% of earnings over  a threshold, she will pay the same however much loan she takes, so it is logical to take what you can get.

    That said, no one knows exactly what changes will be made over the next 30 years. I doubt people will be posting on here in 2052 talking of thresholds of 25k and interest of RPI with repayments at 9%.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards