Boots charging me for insurance without telling me

Hi All,

I had an unusual experience at Boots this weekend. I’m not sure whether I’m correct in my feelings towards it.

I purchased some new glasses and when I got home, I was reviewing my receipt for the Boots points amount.

I noticed that the receipt said I had paid a fee for 12 months glasses cover. This was not in anyway discussed or mentioned to me.

I would not have chosen to take out this cover and the only reason I know I apparently have it is because a fee is shown on the receipt.

I feel like this has been added by the team member to help them toward a bonus. Am I wrong for feeling negative about this, or is it standard practice?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When you checked the amount before paying, how did it compare to the amount you thought were going to pay?  If it was the same, that suggests it was included the price you'd agreed.
  • shemsshem
    shemsshem Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was told the payment was for frames and lenses only. You surely can’t add insurance on without asking a person if they want it?

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    shemsshem said:
    I was told the payment was for frames and lenses only. You surely can’t add insurance on without asking a person if they want it?

It may be mandatory, hence them not telling you about it. More sperated out on the recipt for thgeir purposes. But in that case it does bring confusion into play when someone looks at it. (and I strogly suspect this is the case as I have never seen them mention it as a add on. I recomend ASDA in future by the way if you want to save money).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No one is saying you can.

But what I'm trying to understand is what you thought you were buying, what you thought you were paying, and how when you got home you found you'd bought something else.
  • shemsshem
    shemsshem Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi All, just to add, I’ve finally heard from Boots CS Team. They are escalating to their store and regional managers because they were shocked that the staff member had done this. The advisor said it should be explicitly agreed and goes against all staff training. It sounds like the person is now going to be investigated! 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Carrot007 said:
    shemsshem said:

It may be mandatory, hence them not telling you about it. More sperated out on the recipt for thgeir purposes. But in that case it does bring confusion into play when someone looks at it. (and I strogly suspect this is the case as I have never seen them mention it as a add on. I recomend ASDA in future by the way if you want to save money).

A bit like PPI then, that went well.
    It is an add on that should be specifically "sold" and not just added on.
    Most certainly worthy of a complaint IMO.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    More like CCI.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Assuming it is this https://www.boots.com/services/opticians-glasses-cover then its a true insurance so you have a statutory 14 days cooling off in which to cancel.

Clearly they should have informed you... though some do build into their sales patter very well so you agree to it without realising... but at least getting your monies back should be simple.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cannot be mandatory to have glasses insurance. I don't use Boots and haven't for years but the various opticians I've used in the meantime have never sold me insurance, either as an optiional extra or a built-in. 

Sounds like you should have no problem getting your money back as it seems like a clear breach of their internal rules. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback