Energy bills go up TOMORROW - meter read TODAY!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell I saw that post elsewhere and thought at the time how useful it would be here!

TheAble
    's point about the risks of getting credit back if estimated bills are "out" is definitely valid - and this is where checking meters and noting readings (even smart meter ones) at least once a month is absolutely vital. If non-smart meters then submitting them through to the supplier as well.

Rosa's nailed it - HAVE A PLAN! That really is all you need to do - check your figures and have a plan to deal with what's coming. For some that will be increasing the DD, for others it will be saving the extra into a separate account, and sadly for others it will be reducing use as there simply IS no more money. The vital thing though is not being caught by surprise.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our electricity meter has decided that now is the right time to die. So it is unreadable. New one being fitted in April (still have a supply) so I cannot read the meter and send it in at the end of march. last reading was done end of Jan. 

I have always been super tight with the heating, it's our electricity that is always much higher. And in the summer with all the fans running........😬 

We are lucky that we can afford the extra. It will mean things are tight, but we can cope. I am keeping the DD as low as I can, but will clear the rest of the bill each month manually. I just don't want a DD for over £200. I will make sure I set aside the extra in ynab, but I want control over when I pay it. It feels like a small insignificant act of rebellion, but I don't want the energy company to have all the control. If I could get away without a DD at all I would and just pay manually each month. But the extra charge for not having a DD is £50. 🙄
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Most providers offer an option to pay by "variable DD" - so clearing the bill in full when it arrives but you still get the benefit of the lower DD rates. Could be worth exploring as it sounds as though that might suit you well? I'm also looking to keep the DD as low as I can but will be stashing the extra aside safely just to be sure we have it when needed! 

Bad timing for a meter to die too - if they are estimating make sure they don't use this period last year as the one to work from by the way as it was an extraordinarily long, cold winter last year. Hopefully they'll be willing to use your November > January readings as an example.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Gemm83
    Gemm83 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am well and truly confused by my projection sent through.

It's so low and I think they have completely screwed up. Tried getting through to someone, but of course they are manically busy. 

Basically I moved property at the end of November. We switched from SP to Shell (we were with Shell in previous property). DD was set up at £102 a month. I have sent 4 readings since we got confirmation of the switch through the app. All readings state "accepted for billing" yet 2 days ago I get a bill for period between 18/12 -11/03 costing £184 and that its based on meter estimates not actual.

Granted it's a 1st floor 60's concrete ex council block 3 bedroom and we only need the heating on for 2 hours a day due to the heat from the others and some days not at all but that seems extremely low!! 

I've budgeted for an extra £100 a month for the DD, due to the increase but they are actually telling me to REDUCE my payments (im not going to) due to my projected annual spend and that's with the increase in standing charges.

My meter readings are there in black and white. My DH has told me to keep quiet about it, but it's really unnerving me, and don't want to be clobbered by a huge bill!

We are having a smart meter fitted on the 5th April so I can keep an eye on things, but could anyone have any explanations?! 
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    We're in a property with a very similar construction to yours by the sound of it (albeit we're ground floor) and have been hovering between £60 - £70 a month for the coldest winter months - our heating is all electric too which is likely to be more expensive than a more controllable gas CH system. 

How do your own readings actually compare with the estimates that they are using? If yours are higher than I suggest calling them to give your readings to make sure that they actually charge you for the right amount of use on the lower rates - you don't want to leave it until after 1st April to get it sorted, really! 
    she/her
  • Gemm83
    Options
    It appears to be a combination of both customer readings and estimates.

All readings have been given by the date they need them as per their alerts. I have added screenshots of both gas and electric. Anyone make any sense of them?! 
  • moving_forward
    moving_forward Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doesn't matter what the in-between reads are the opening and close count. 
    Do the opening reads 18/12/21 match the close ones on your last bill?
    Then what was your reading 11/3/22?
    Dedicated Debt Free Wanabee 🤓
    Proud member of the Tilly Tidies since 1st Jan 2022
    2022 -Jan £26.52, Feb £27.40, Mar £156.27, Apr £TBC
  • Gemm83
    Options
    @moving_forward

This is my first bill. The opening read (I) is what a gave them. The last electric reading that put through is higher than their estimate. When I put it through I got a message saying its higher than they expected and to double check and resubmit if correct and it was, so I put it through. 

My reading is showing on the app.
  • Gemm83
    Options
    ...added my reading would put it in line with the previous months though 🤷‍♀️
  • moving_forward
    moving_forward Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well they have undercharged you then so ask them to issue a replacement bill with the correct reading.
    If it's electric take their read 1876.7 away from your actual read. This will give you the KWH (kilowatt hours) they have under charged. Multiply this by your unit rate £0.20530 to give the figure undercharged in pounds. Then multiply by 1.05 (this adds the VAT on. Your new bill may include a few extra days standing charge.
    Dedicated Debt Free Wanabee 🤓
    Proud member of the Tilly Tidies since 1st Jan 2022
    2022 -Jan £26.52, Feb £27.40, Mar £156.27, Apr £TBC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family