Council Tax Debt

I am looking into a DRO and part of the debt is a 4k council tax debt. My partner lives with me (although her name isn’t on the bill)….will she become liable for some of the debt? 

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, have you contacted one of the free debt help agencies about a DRO?

If not, that would be a good idea because they can advise you about all aspects of a DRO.

Links for free debt help agencies below. 

I used StepChange for my DRO a few years ago and they were very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

https://www.stepchange.org/
    https://nationaldebtline.org/
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/

I hope this info is helpful. Good luck with it all.  :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2022 at 6:57PM
    I am looking into a DRO and part of the debt is a 4k council tax debt. My partner lives with me (although her name isn’t on the bill)….will she become liable for some of the debt? 
    No, in a DRO the debt is written off, so it cannot be chased or attributed to any 3rd party, once your DRO is approved.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your partner can only be made liable if she is registered as living there and on the bill. If not, she won’t be chased for it. 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I'm going to differ...

partner...

lives with me...

Technically that is joint and several liability according to the council tax regs (I had remembered an archaic phrase about 'living together as man and wife'). It now seems to read:

Under section 9 of the LGFA 1992, as amended by the Civil Partnership Act 2004, spouses and civil partners of liable persons are jointly and severally liable for the tax if:
    • the person is not a student or severely mentally impaired; and
    • they are a man and a woman who are married to one another or not married but living together as man and wife,
    • they are of the same sex and either civil partners of each other or are not in a civil partnership but who are living together as if they were civil partners.

• What I was told is that your partner needs to be on the tenancy agreement for them to come after her. It doesn't matter if the agreement is out of date. 

Is her name on the council tax bill ?  If not, you are probably in the clear. When council tax is over due they usually send separate letters to whoever is jointly liable. 
  • If her name isn't on the bill, they will have trouble coming after her later.  

Once the DRO is done they usually don't come after partners even if they are jointly liable. 
  • If shes living with you and not registered on the council tax and you are claiming a single discount, that's fraud and they can come after you for that too. Make sure she's registered at the property if she is living there. You have clearly not had things in order before so dont make a mistake a stupid  again.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    The OP isn't saying that she is undeclared and he gets a 25% single person discount.

He's saying that her name is not on the bill.

That would indicate that he is at a higher point on the council tax hierarchy than her - perhaps he has a tenancy in his name or is a homeowner (can't have a DRO though in that case).

He's just asking can the council tax debt be ascribed to her on his insolvency and under LGFA 1992 it can
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback