Very mis-delivery, and mis-representation

Very is one of the hardest companies to contact and in my experience least concerned about meeting contractual obligations.
It is not my usual practice to publicly call out a company but I think that people should be aware that, from my example, you cannot rely on the Very website.
I have spent over 2 hours on the 'phone to Very, sent 6 e-mails, and a formal letter without resolution.

I ordered an Echo (4th Gen) + Philips Hue package after seeing a good price on their website.
Order confirmation e-mail, and despatch note from Very clearly confirmed this.

The delivery was prompt, however the box contained an Echo Dot which is a lower specification smart speaker with reduced functionality.

Without wishing to catalogue the tortuous communications, 2 months down the line I have today been told that they will not honour their contract with me.
Despite showing them the above documentation and also the screen that I clicked to add to my basket and then check out - which also clearly states Echo not Echo Dot.

The response from Very is that I received the item they intended and that they will internally stress the need to make the website clear.
Their website today now shows the Dot/Hue. 

For me this feels like buying something from a market stall, handing over your money and the dodgy stall holder offering to wrap it for you.
When you get home you find the item you ordered has been swapped under the table for a cheaper alternative. 

It also tells me that I cannot trust what I see on the Very website and certainly cannot have faith that they will deliver what I have ordered.

I'm not sure next steps but feel frustrated and disappointed that I don't have the expected products.  

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,056
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    Have you returned the Echo/Hue you received and been refunded?
    You are entitled to be put back in the position you were before you ordered, but you cannot force them to supply you something.  
  • Eborexile
    Eborexile Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are entitled to be put back in the position you were before you ordered, but you cannot force them to supply you something.  
    Thank you for your reply.
    The basis of my complaint is different as I believe that when they took my money they entered into a contract.
    Also,Section 9, 10 and 11 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 require you to supply goods of satisfactory quality, that are fit for purpose and which are as described. 
    They have not delivered "as described".
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Eborexile said:
    The basis of my complaint is different as I believe that when they took my money they entered into a contract.
    Also,Section 9, 10 and 11 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 require you to supply goods of satisfactory quality, that are fit for purpose and which are as described. 
    But your main right is to reject the goods and get a full refund.

The consumer rights act can still not force them to sell you something or correct an error.

You can return the whole order stating it is not as described and get a full refund.
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Eborexile said:
    What do their terms & conditions say about this? Some retailers will say that a contract is only formed upon dispatch of goods. For example Argos:

2.3 Acceptance of your order and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on despatch to you of the products
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Penguin_ said:
    Eborexile said:
    What do their terms & conditions say about this? Some retailers will say that a contract is only formed upon dispatch of goods. For example Argos:

2.3 Acceptance of your order and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on despatch to you of the products
    The delivery has taken place so that is irrelevant really.

It seems there was a website error advertisting the wrong product as part of a bundle.
    So the OP didn't receive the item they expected, but the item Very expected should be part of that bundle.

As it is a genuine error the OP has no right to get the more expensive product at that price and should return the entire bundle for a refund.
  • As others have said, you cannot force them to sell you something they do not have - regardless of any errors on their website.

You are entitled to return it (at Very's expense) for a full refund of everything (including any standard delivery charges) you paid them.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Eborexile said:
    Sometimes companies get it wrong. And that's where the Consumer Rights Act comes in. If you are not happy because the goods are not 'as described' then you notify the company and say you want to return them for a full refund. That is your consumer right.

What you should do is inform the retailer that they've sent the wrong thing, you don't want it and you wish to return it, postage paid by them. No need to spend hours on tortuous communications just because they made a mistake.  

Once you've sent it back and they've issued a full refund, you are able to buy the correct item from another supplier. I don't see a problem. Apart from the fact that Very got it wrong, as businesses often do. Your complaint just doesn't hold water.

[Also, on this site it's not forum policy to criticise businesses - this taken from the Rules - "We appreciate emotions can run high should you experience poor service from companies, but we cannot accept active calls to boycott organisations as we are unable to verify the service you received."]
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Eborexile
    Eborexile Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for their comments.
    The balance of opinion seems to believe that there wasn't a contractual obligation on the part of the company to supply goods as offered on their site.
    (and as confirmed by them subsequently)
    It seems strange that they can tell me they are sending an item but then despatch something of lower specification and value.
    Their website meant that I didn't check competitor sites as their advertised price was acceptable.
    However it seems they are within their rights.

• Eborexile said:
    Very is one of the hardest companies to contact and in my experience least concerned about meeting contractual obligations.
    It is not my usual practice to publicly call out a company but I think that people should be aware that, from my example, you cannot rely on the Very website.
    I have spent over 2 hours on the 'phone to Very, sent 6 e-mails, and a formal letter without resolution.

I ordered an Echo (4th Gen) + Philips Hue package after seeing a good price on their website.
    Order confirmation e-mail, and despatch note from Very clearly confirmed this.

The delivery was prompt, however the box contained an Echo Dot which is a lower specification smart speaker with reduced functionality.

Without wishing to catalogue the tortuous communications, 2 months down the line I have today been told that they will not honour their contract with me.
    Despite showing them the above documentation and also the screen that I clicked to add to my basket and then check out - which also clearly states Echo not Echo Dot.

The response from Very is that I received the item they intended and that they will internally stress the need to make the website clear.
    Their website today now shows the Dot/Hue. 

For me this feels like buying something from a market stall, handing over your money and the dodgy stall holder offering to wrap it for you.
    When you get home you find the item you ordered has been swapped under the table for a cheaper alternative. 

It also tells me that I cannot trust what I see on the Very website and certainly cannot have faith that they will deliver what I have ordered.

I'm not sure next steps but feel frustrated and disappointed that I don't have the expected products.  

So the wesbite also showed the wrong photo aswell?
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 March 2022 at 10:48AM
    Eborexile said:
    Thanks to everyone for their comments.
    The balance of opinion seems to believe that there wasn't a contractual obligation on the part of the company to supply goods as offered on their site.
    (and as confirmed by them subsequently)
    It seems strange that they can tell me they are sending an item but then despatch something of lower specification and value.
    Their website meant that I didn't check competitor sites as their advertised price was acceptable.
    However it seems they are within their rights.
    The issue is you had the right to reject the order for a full refund, which is something you have chosen not to do. You had a right to a full refund, you chose not to take it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback