Council Tax £150 - New Home

Potentially not the right place for this but...
I am a first time buyer moving into my first home in the middle of April. Everything I have seen of the Government's announced £150 council tax rebate seems to suggest it is taken from the 1 April. Does this mean I will not be eligible for the £150 when I move in mid-April, despite not claiming/receiving it in the first place as I'm not currently a home owner.

Any help/advice welcome!

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

First question - is your new home in one of the eligible council tax bands? (A-D)  If not, then the point is moot.

If it is in one of the eligible bands then the best thing to do would be to contact the council where your new home is. 

Here's some info from this site - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/02/english-households-should-set-up-a-direct-debit-with-their-local/

And a bit more -

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/02/some-households-could-get-up-to-p350-in-a-council-tax-to-deal-wi/

I hope that's helpful. And good luck in your new home, too!   :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I wonder if you might get 2 x £150   ?   You will get a council statement before you leave your present home; (assuming you new home is a newbuild) you will get a new statement for the new property.

(or is the system clever enough) to pro-rata the payment)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    In Scotland you have to have been resident on 14 February to qualify for the £150 help

elmer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure