PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Timeshare relinquish

Delbud
Delbud Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post
edited 28 February 2022 at 11:03AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi, has anyone dealt with Harlow Consultants about compensation for miss sold Timeshare.
They advise they can guarantee a major payout so long as I sign over £6k (which is also guaranteed) instantly. They claim to be legal solicitors.

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What exactly is the company called?
    I found Harlow Consultants Ltd but they were dissolved 2018.
    Where are they based as well? Harrogate or Harlow?
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2022 at 11:17AM
    Let me get this straight - you give them £6k and you might get that back and more?  If you want to get rid of your timeshare, I would talk to your resort first and foremost.  Are you sitting comfortably?

My late step-dad owned timeshare on Tenerife and as he was getting older, he decided it was time to dispose of it.  He used a sales co. with initial upfront charge but they kept asking for more and more money.  In the end he paid out nearly £24k, including borrowing from a friend (who didn't get a penny back).  After SD passed away my step-brother found that if he paid two years maintenance (£1500) they would take back the Weeks.  

I realise this is labelled as mis-selling, and yes RCI have had their knuckles rapped, but it's just an money making exercise.  We own timeshare and I would be very hesitant.

Please let us know how you get on if you do go ahead - for better or worse!  

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Delbud said:
    Hi, has anyone dealt with Harlow Consultants about compensation for miss sold Timeshare.
    They advise they can guarantee a major payout so long as I sign over £6k (which is also guaranteed) instantly. They claim to be legal solicitors.
    Do they?

Here's their website - nothing there suggesting they're solicitors.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    user1977 said:
    Delbud said:
    Do they?

All our professionals (Solicitors and Barristers) are regulated by the Law Society and the Bar Council and carry professional indemnity.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:
    user1977 said:
    Delbud said:
    Do they?

All our professionals (Solicitors and Barristers) are regulated by the Law Society and the Bar Council and carry professional indemnity.
    By which they mean the lawyers they (might) refer you to - they're not (as far as I can see) claiming to be a firm of solicitors themselves. 
  • TripleH
    Harlow consultants Ltd dissolved 2018 for (I suspect) not filing compliance statement
    Setup again by same person based in Spain.
    This looks to be a scam especially the look of their website. I suspect you pay your money and have no hope of getting it back when nothing is done.
    Sleep well.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 February 2022 at 12:36PM
    TripleH said:
    What exactly is the company called?
    I found Harlow Consultants Ltd but they were dissolved 2018.
    Where are they based as well? Harrogate or Harlow?

Their company number is at the bottom of their webpage - so it's this company: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13585338

But you're correct, there was a company with the same name dissolved via compulsory strike-off in 2018 : https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10074283

Interestingly, the dissolved company has company secretary called Linsey Graham, and the new company has a sole director called Lindsay Graham.

Linsey and Lindsay both seem to be resident in Spain and use the same Spanish address. (The address looks a bit like a holiday apartment.)

Companies House aren't linking Linsey and Lindsay as being the same person.

I've read blogs on the internet that say people sometimes purposely spell their names differently when they register a new company, to avoid Companies House linking them to an old company. (Just sayin...)

• TripleH
    edited 28 February 2022 at 12:42PM
    Hadn't registered the different spelling but the address looks different enough to make it seem a different person.
    Still wouldn't touch, I suspect when things go wrong, there is no come back.
    The website implies continual operation from 2012-2022 too. Enough there for me to have concerns. If they were legitimate and professional and expecting to generate big fees helping clients, I'd expect a better looking website.
    Sleep well.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Scam written all over this.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 February 2022 at 12:47PM
    TripleH said:
    Hadn't registered the different spelling but the address looks different enough to make it seem a different person.
    Still wouldn't touch, I suspect when things go wrong, there is no come back.

The addresses for Lindsay and Linsey in Spain are identical (apart from a number '4'). See:

The correspondence address here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10074283/officers

The certificate of incorporation here (view the PDF) : https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13585338/filing-history

(As I say, it looks like a holiday apartment.)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback