etsy fee increase

For anyone selling on etsy there is a FVF increase from the 11th April from 5%- 6.5%. The message they have put out says that part of the increase will be going towards plans to increase the number of buyers, currently there are 90 Million buyers worldwide.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How many people know what etsy is and/or actually use them?  Personally not many I know would have a clue so
    they really need a big push to get a name that most people know.

I no longer like their business model so its a last resort,  I preferred it when they restricted it to handmade items.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• How many people know what etsy is and/or actually use them?  Personally not many I know would have a clue so

I no longer like their business model so its a last resort,  I preferred it when they restricted it to handmade items.

It is still technically for handmade and/or vintage items (or craft supplies) but lots of Chinese mass produced stuff gets through.  It's quite annoying, and I don't know if they act on reports or not.

I use Etsy for hair sticks and forks, and other odd handmade items (especially woodwork).  There's a lot on there that I would LOVE to buy, but don't need and can't justify the prices - often they are reasonable prices for the work and materials that went into them, just out of my budget for things I don't *need*.

There are lots of successful, competitive markets on there which tend to be a bit niche.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How many people know what etsy is and/or actually use them?  Personally not many I know would have a clue so

It is still technically for handmade and/or vintage items (or craft supplies) but lots of Chinese mass produced stuff gets through.  It's quite annoying, and I don't know if they act on reports or not.

I use Etsy for hair sticks and forks, and other odd handmade items (especially woodwork).  There's a lot on there that I would LOVE to buy, but don't need and can't justify the prices - often they are reasonable prices for the work and materials that went into them, just out of my budget for things I don't *need*.

There are lots of successful, competitive markets on there which tend to be a bit niche.
    This is what I think of/ go to Etsy for
    Those little handmade/niche/intersting items that I wont find elsewhere
    Eg for my sons birthday I picked up handmade/unique Dragon ball things vs the standard mass  market stuff
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I do use etsy for vintage and antiques, it is slow (very slow) but I make the occasional sale. I agree though that it is now full of Chinese imports 'vintage necklaces' that are brand new and have 100 available, type of thing. The other issue they have is copyright infringement , people seem to think that if they handmake something and sell it that somehow copyright doesn't apply, so lots of 'Disney' inspired images and TV programme images ironed onto a T shirt. I'm always surpirsed these sellers last so long, although I am aware of some that have been  taken down but by the copyright owners not by etsy , on other forums I have seen several mentions of cease and desist letters.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback