We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

60+ oystercard application problems

Options
I am less than 2 weeks from my 60th birthday and have set up a photocard account.  However, it does not give me an option of applying for a 60+ card, only for a student or apprentice card.  I called TFL but they didn't answer and I wasn't even allowed to join a queue to talk to someone.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Wicked_Lady
    Options
    Lucky you to live in a London Borough!

This is what appeared for me on the website so not sure why you can't see the same options? 60+ London Oyster photocard - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)
  • Jdee62
    Options
    Did you get your 60+ oystercard sorted?  I am now in the same situation.

By the way hope you had a wonderful birthday!
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 766 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over 60s bus pass:

Scotland - free 
    Wales- free
    NI - free
    London - free
    Manchester - free

The rest of England, including the rural areas that really need decent, affordable public transport - get your wallet out!

I'm just jealous  :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beddie said:
    Over 60s bus pass:

Scotland - free 
    Wales- free
    NI - free
    London - free
    Manchester - free

The rest of England, including the rural areas that really need decent, affordable public transport - get your wallet out!

I'm just jealous  :)
    Bus pass in Lincolnshire is free & because you often can't get to hospital appts etc in time (rural area) you can travel before 9.30 am
    I'm just jealous because some of those include free train travel- such as London & manchester
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £96.25 spent!!!
  • Westy63
    Options
    Hi Caznherbs
    I am in the same position.  I wonder if it is because I already have an Oyster account so when I try to add on a new photocard it doesn't work.  Any tips?  I can not even see how to terminate my existing account and start again and no response on any contact channels
    Any ideas?
  • Montyfatlad
    Options
    Caznherbs said:
    I am less than 2 weeks from my 60th birthday and have set up a photocard account.  However, it does not give me an option of applying for a 60+ card, only for a student or apprentice card.  I called TFL but they didn't answer and I wasn't even allowed to join a queue to talk to someone.  Has anyone else had this problem?
    I'm now less that 2 weeks from my 60th birthday too and have done all of the above and encountered the same problems since 11 March 2023. Please can anyone advise me? 
  • Westy63
    Options
    Hi there
    I phones and the customer advisor said there were IT problems on line with the verification process.  There was nothing wrong with my passport - just their system.  I was assured it would be fixed within 48 hours but it wasnt so I printed the form and went to the post office.  Got my card on Saturday after 2 weeks of trying on line!
  • Westy63
    Options
    I would keep trying until you are 10 Business Days prior to your Birthday then if it is still not working on line follow the printing letter/ post office verification route!
  • patricia1066
    patricia1066 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was able to access the website within 10 days of my birthday and the pass arrived just before. 
  • currantbun2
    Options
    Hi, I'm also approaching 60 and living in London. I have the same problem as the original poster and Westy63 in that I am just shown options for a student pass and an apprentice pass - not the over 60s pass.
    How did you get round it? I don't have the patience to try and contact their customer services!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback