solar panel power generation

Comments

• QrizB said:
    Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

Look like a nice package, and good advice on the battery.
    Oops!  i totally misread the quotation.  It's actually £7100 (which is not anything like £9900... i don't know how i got that figure in my head!) 
    Which i think makes the ROI
    £7100/ £70 =  101 Months /12 = 8.4 years. 
    That's better.
    • 3880kWh used @ 21p/kWh = £815
    • 2600kWh exported @ 7.5p/kWh = £195
    so:
    • Total annual return = £1010
    • Payback period = 7 years, 25-year ROI = 5.2%
    Definitely better.
    So would u say they are to get looking at how do u do the maths u have done above??

Joe
  • QrizB said:
    Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

Oops!  i totally misread the quotation.  It's actually £7100 (which is not anything like £9900... i don't know how i got that figure in my head!) 

Is the roof shaded at all? - if so you might want to consider optimisers 
    Are there any pigeons round? - if so, you might want to consider bird mesh
  • QrizB said:

our roof is not shade or birds  
    Joe
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    hosay299 said:
    QrizB said:

our roof is not shade or birds  
    It's probably worth starting your own thread so you don't get missed.

There's a lot of solar quote threads about, have a read of some of them to get an idea of the questions.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • QrizB said:

That's better.
    • 3880kWh used @ 21p/kWh = £815
    • 2600kWh exported @ 7.5p/kWh = £195
    so:
    • Total annual return = £1010
    • Payback period = 7 years, 25-year ROI = 5.2%
    Definitely better.
    I would be slightly cautious about the realism of you using 60% of your generation; it seems quite high. In June or July, for example, you might generate 45kWh in a single day and only be able to use 15kW of it.
    We use on Average 24-25KWH per day,

I agree there would be some wastage in the summer.  I imagine the whole thing is pretty complex to calculate ... exact generation per hour depends on a lot of different factors so does usage.

What we do know is that unlike many families  we are at home during the day, we use the most energy during the day therefore we are at peak usage between 9am and 5pm..  which is when the power is mostly being generated in the summer.    

While it's undoubted that we would send a good chunk of the power during summer back to the grid.  I would guess our high daytime usage would mean we are more likely to use a higher % of that generated energy than families out at work/school. 

Where I suspect in the winter our required daytime energy, would outstrip our generation so at that point the solar is just a supplement to the grid and we'd use all the energy generated in the winter more or less. 

If the rule of thumb is that the average family only gets to use 60% of their generated energy, i think as a family we stand a reasonable chance of getting the same % as the average family because of our high daytime usage. (If not more) 

It's impossible to know for sure but i suspect at least 18KWH of our daily usage is between 9am and 5pm daily.  

Batteries can be re-visited if needed, as that would allow us to keep more of what we generate in the summer for use in the evening,  but given that it gets late darker in the summer and therefore we'd need less after dark anyway i suspect battery's although useful for emergencies won't help that much day to day.  

• May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
    • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget
  • QrizB said:

Not shaded at all ... the closest trees are at least 10 ft lower than our roof.. bird mesh is a good call though :) but pideons arn't a big problem where i live ... squirrels are another matter :P 
  • QrizB said:

Not shaded at all ... the closest trees are at least 10 ft lower than our roof.. bird mesh is a good call though :) but pideons arn't a big problem where i live ... squirrels are another matter :P 
    The consensus seems to be to go for pigeon mesh if in doubt. It is much cheaper to instal at the time than adding it later. It will add a few hundred to the cost.

From what you have said. It sounds promising. Not sure how recent that quote is, but keep in mind prices have gone up even since Christmas.
  • Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Not sure I agree with that. I don’t know anything about your mother but if she was like mine she had a heck of a lot tougher life than I have had and if she caused any damage to the environment by enjoying her later years I wouldn’t criticise her for it. Was your mother even aware she was damaging the environment?

I'm not criticising my mother, it is just a fact that she spent probably 25 years of her later life having several cruise holidays a year. She did have a tough upbringing, in a South Wales mining community. I don't suppose she did appreciate how damaging cruise ships are to the environment but I don't see what harm I'm doing trying to offset some of it in my autumn years.

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    QrizB said:

I had a big problem with Squirrels and removed 3 Drey's from under a couple of panels over an 18 month period. I now keep an eye out and as soon as anything looks like starting I remove it. Also a good .22 makes a big difference and has reduced the local population so the problem is less than it was.

You can get an I-Boost to heat the water in your immersion tank. It diverts unused generation from your system and heats the  water in your tank automatically. For around 8 months of the year my water is heated by the system basically for free so don't use the boiler  In just under 8 years I have diverted 9.5 MW to my I-Boost. Cost around £300
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• QrizB said:

The consensus seems to be to go for pigeon mesh if in doubt. It is much cheaper to instal at the time than adding it later. It will add a few hundred to the cost.

From what you have said. It sounds promising. Not sure how recent that quote is, but keep in mind prices have gone up even since Christmas.
    Quote is from this morning,  i hope the prices haven't got up in the last 12 hours haha 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport