solar panel power generation

Comments

• Happy_Sloth
    Happy_Sloth Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 February 2022 at 4:59PM
    hosay299 said:
    QrizB said:
    19 x 395watt  panels totalling a 7.5KW system.  this company have said there is no point getting a battery on day 1 as chances are given our high daytime usage we wouldn't fill it. They suggested, it's better to monitor usage and export over the first year and adding a battery later if we find we are exporting a lot. 
    That's a good-sized system and better advice re. battery.
    I've done the math... i think it would bring the energy bill down by about £70 per month, granted taking 11 years to get ROI  (At todays prices 21p per unit) 
    This suggests a price of around £9k for the system, perhaps a little more?
    whats the cost for just the normal system with out the Battery
    Sorry yes the cost is £7100 and this is our forever home.  
    • May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
    • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

Look like a nice package, and good advice on the battery.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why not set a target price, say £6000, & then get quotes for the maximum kWp from that sum? If you’ve got plenty of real estate on your roof, more lower output panels might be a cheaper option than getting the latest technology.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,785 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2022 at 4:02PM
    Verdigris said:
    I'm sure my mother would approve of me going on cruises, too. However, I have a responsibility to her grandchildren and great grandchildren to leave an inhabitable planet. I think it is perfectly ethical to ignore the wishes of somebody, who perhaps hasn't given enough thought to the future, to mitigate the damage done by their generation.
    Not sure I agree with that. I don’t know anything about your mother but if she was like mine she had a heck of a lot tougher life than I have had and if she caused any damage to the environment by enjoying her later years I wouldn’t criticise her for it. Was your mother even aware she was damaging the environment?

I suspect our generation with our massively higher levels of consumption has done far more damage and for the last 20 years or so at least we have been aware of that. My mum never had electricity or running water until the 1950s, never had gas and it wasn’t until she was 65 she had central heating. My parents generation, for much if not all of their working lives, walked or cycled to work. Let’s not be so hard on them.

Last night I happened to watch Cider with Rosie, whose author Laurie Lee’s life (1914 to 1997) coincided with that of my parents generation. Just watch something like that and you will realise the hardship that generation had to put up with. 

I expect it of generation Z to disrespect the older generations - that is the role of the young - but as we grow older we gain a more balanced understanding of the world we grew up in.

So if I were the OP I would respect my father’s wishes and do something special with the money. Solar panels would be a fitting memorial and everytime the sun shines it will be a fond reminder.

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

Oops!  i totally misread the quotation.  It's actually £7100 (which is not anything like £9900... i don't know how i got that figure in my head!)  

Which i think makes the ROI 

£7100/ £70 =  101 Months /12 = 8.4 years.  

• May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
    • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2022 at 4:22PM
    If you have an immersion tank don't forget you could get a diverter for surplus energy and supply much/most of your hot water from March to October. I've averaged 2kWh a day over the last week and as a single person find I don't use the gas boiler at all March to October (with 4kWp of panels).

Notional savings could go towards a holiday fund and might be a more satistying spend than getting rid of your capital in one splurge or keeping the money in the bank for no interest..
  • and can u say what it is for and what type of system they are quoting for as i do a local company near me does them and am thinks of asking for one but would like as much info as posable to compare ??

we one person at home all the time and me who works up 30 hours a week.

Joe
  • Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

Oops!  i totally misread the quotation.  It's actually £7100 (which is not anything like £9900... i don't know how i got that figure in my head!)  

u can delete post with the incorrect info just click the symbol on top right
    Joe
  • If you have an immersion tank don't forget you could get a diverter for surplus energy and supply much/most of your hot water from March to October. I've averaged 2kWh a day over the last week and as a single person find I don't use the gas boiler at all March to October (with 4kWp of panels).

Notional savings could go towards a holiday fund and might be a more satistying spend than getting rid of your capital in one splurge or keeping the money in the bank for no interest..
    so u Mean send it back to the grid ??
    Joe
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 February 2022 at 4:32PM
    Ideally, if it's a single roof install, I'd have hoped for a sub £7k price, maybe closer to £6k, but it does seem like prices are high at the moment.

That's better.
    • 3880kWh used @ 21p/kWh = £815
    • 2600kWh exported @ 7.5p/kWh = £195
    so:
    • Total annual return = £1010
    • Payback period = 7 years, 25-year ROI = 5.2%
    Definitely better.
    I would be slightly cautious about the realism of you using 60% of your generation; it seems quite high. In June or July, for example, you might generate 45kWh in a single day and only be able to use 15kW of it.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback