EON Next - Meter Reader reading has appeared on electricity

Options
I have smart meters which have been upgraded and give regular weekly readings, along with an end of month read.

On my gas reading, I have a smart meter reading from 8 Feb, but there have never been any smart meter readings shown on my electricity.  However, I have just noticed two entries on my electricity readings, dated 8 Dec and 8 Jan, listed as meter reader.  The 8 Dec seems weird, as it is 10 units greater than the reading I gave on the 11 Dec. 

The 8 Jan reading, according to my spreadsheet, is the reading for the start of day on 9 Jan.  My reading for the start of day on 8 Dec was 11737 and end of day (start of next day) was 11744.

Would you say these are their attempt of taking readings from my smart meter - albeit one totally wrong and both very late?

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 February 2022 at 5:37PM
    Options
    My Eon smart meters stopped communicating after being internally switched to Next.

I've been submitting manual readings, whilst they sort it out, but I've got these odd "meter reader" entries too.

Well I know they can't have, as mine are behind a locked gate!

They're in line* with other readings, so I've ignored them, but I'm interested in what they mean/represent.

* Edit - I think they are... I'll check next time I log in.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They're probably extrapolated readings from the "mysterious third party". I had readings marked "Industry", or some such, which are the same thing. It's probably down to the text options available on the billing software.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a 'Meter Reader' entry for my gas on 22/12/21 but discounted it as my gas meter is easily accesible from outside.  No 'Meter Reader' entries on my my account for electricity.  All my other reads are 'Manual'.  It seems that Eon Next are yet to use remote smart meter functionality after 5 months with them.
  • momsgill
    Options

reading some of your replies about smart meters, I am not very impressed.  I have avoided having a smart meter but have just been changed to EON after other suppliers going bust.  I only have electricity and the meter is in the hall by the front door and easily read by me when I need to.  I also take a photo of the reading.  We also have solar panels on our roof and, therefore, everything works efficiently and reasonably priced.  I have now had an offer of new tariffs from EON - Stay on Variable Tariff or change to Fixed Tariff, which they think is the best option.  However, for the fixed tariff, I have to agree to a Smart Meter which I don't see the point of. Any suggestions?
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 February 2022 at 10:20PM
    Options
    momsgill said:

reading some of your replies about smart meters, I am not very impressed.  I have avoided having a smart meter but have just been changed to EON after other suppliers going bust.  I only have electricity and the meter is in the hall by the front door and easily read by me when I need to.  I also take a photo of the reading.  We also have solar panels on our roof and, therefore, everything works efficiently and reasonably priced.  I have now had an offer of new tariffs from EON - Stay on Variable Tariff or change to Fixed Tariff, which they think is the best option.  However, for the fixed tariff, I have to agree to a Smart Meter which I don't see the point of. Any suggestions?

It is IMO that we will all eventually end up with Smart Meters, even if someone is totally against having them.  Yes, you can ask for the SMART capabilities to be switched off - not sure if this is actually done mind you, and would not probably count towards the supplier's quota.

If I am perfectly honest, I only like the smart meters because of the IHD and because it shows my daily gas and electricity usage, along with my meter readings.  This helps me keep on top of my spreadsheet, as I do not use the meter readings for calculating usage - just my daily usage.

I do not trust the suppliers to take a reading and therefore give frequent manual readings, and since they have been updated from SMETS1, only Zog have taken monthly reads.  Depending what you want out of them, they may be worth it.  But, as I said, I think, at the end, we will all end up having them, as I doubt companies are carrying on making non smart meters.  WHen you current meter is ready for the big meter in the sky, there will only be smart meters to replace it with.

Plus, I also feel that most decent tariffs will have the "must have a smart meter installed" in the T&Cs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 February 2022 at 11:47PM
    Options

If I am perfectly honest, I only like the smart meters because of the IHD and because it shows my daily gas and electricity usage, along with my meter readings.  This helps me keep on top of my spreadsheet, as I do not use the meter readings for calculating usage - just my daily usage.

I do not trust the suppliers to take a reading and therefore give frequent manual reading.
    That is really how I tend to use my IHD as well on a daily basis so I reckon I can see if there is anything out of the ordinary re usage.  I also do a meter check before I give a manual meter reading just to make sure that both devices are showing the same meter reads.  They have been up till now.  Eon Next appear incapable of doing whatever it is that they need to do to pull off the meter reads directly without the need for manual inputs by myself.  
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    My Eon smart meters stopped communicating after being internally switched to Next.

I've been submitting manual readings, whilst they sort it out, but I've got these odd "meter reader" entries too.

Well I know they can't have, as mine are behind a locked gate!

They're in line* with other readings, so I've ignored them, but I'm interested in what they mean/represent.

* Edit - I think they are... I'll check next time I log in.

Having checked, on line.   My spurious "meter reader" reading was on the electricity only, and seems to tie in with the date that we were migrated to Next, so I'm guessing it must be an internal thing.

My readings do run in order, mind.

24/10 - Smart - 450 
    11/11 - Meter Reader - 511
    1/12 - Manual - 620

I'm hopeful that Next have sorted my meter issue, and they say that it should start sending readings again soon.

I've found the easiest and quickest way to deal with them has been via Facebook messenger.  
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I've just spotted another anomaly.

We had our smart meters installed for both G&E on 30th June 2021

Our Eon Next account shows our old meters as "No longer active"....however, there is another of their odd "meter reader" entries against the uninstalled electricity meter, which now shows the following...

30/6 - Manual - 25183    (New meter has corresponding reading of 0)
    11/11 - Meter Reader - 25730

Where have these "extra" 547 units come from....and they'd better not try charging me for them!!!    

Again, lets hope its just a quirk of their internal systems.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback