We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Best time to buy pond plants?

Options
I have my eye on some pond plants which i think will help the newts which are in my pond, i am ready to get them now but i wonder if i should wait until more into the spring however the prices could go up by then.
If i get them now can i just put them straight into the pond, One is an oxygenator with weights attached and a couple of marginal plants.
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 18 February 2022 at 5:33PM
    Options
    I'd get them now. Stuff has a way of going out of stock these days.
    Also they return to the pond to breed shortly. Unless you are right up north.
    It would give them the cover they like 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frank99 said:
    I have my eye on some pond plants which i think will help the newts which are in my pond, i am ready to get them now but i wonder if i should wait until more into the spring however the prices could go up by then.
    If i get them now can i just put them straight into the pond, One is an oxygenator with weights attached and a couple of marginal plants.
    I bought some shelf plants just the other day. There's very little growth on pond plants at the moment but don't let that put you off. Buying them now gives them time to settle into their new position before growth begins in spring. And, as twopenny points out, garden plants have been selling like hotcakes during the pandemic and yours might go out of stock if you delay. 
  • MichaelDH
    MichaelDH Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our established pond plants are all starting to wake up again, so now would be an ideal time for adding new plants to your pond.
    Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
    Current Balance (15th February 2019): £209,278.85 :eek:
    Target: Balance below £170,000.00 by August 2023 :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure