How long on average for financial ombudsman to make final decision?

Hello all 
I’ve made a complaint to the financial ombudsman about Capital One holding me liable for a debt which is fraudulent. All the the lenders have upheld my complaint except for capital one. The adjudicator upheld my complaint and recommended they remove the default from my credit file, stop chasing me for the debt and pay me £250 compensation but Capital One disagreed and asked for a ombudsman to make a final decision. I’ve been waiting for an ombudsman to be allocated and around a week ago, an ombudsman has now been allocated. Based on your own experience, how long do you think it could take for them to make a final decision now ones been allocated?
I’ll appreciate any opinions or estimates.
thanks 

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Last year I reported Capital One to the Financial Ombudsman and it was quite a straightforward case but it took at least two months before they even looked at it, they were overwhelmed at the time. 

I know yours is different but I'd say at least two months. Now an ombudsman has been allocated, they should be in touch with you as well as with Capital One, to let you know what they will be doing and the approximate time it will take.

The ombudsman I dealt with was friendly and helpful and we corresponded via email. They can't always give exact dates either because all cases are different. 

(The ombudsman ruled in my favour too and I won't be using Capital One ever again.)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Depends how busy they are, how complicated the issue is, how quick Capital one respond to questions, its anyone's guess.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • It'll take several months to be assigned to an Ombudsman, and several more for them to collate all the evidence and make a decision.

You'll be lucky if they do it in a year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback