Deferred holiday now losing deposit! Help

Options
So we were due to go to Turkey in August 2020. We obviously deferred as we were so unsure what was happening and didn’t want to pay in full as again unsure if the holiday would go ahead but we weren’t comfortable going. So we deferred to 2021. Again same situation so deferred to 2022. The issue now is that my then 16 year old is now 19 and him and his friend no longer want to go so the booking has changed and the TA says we can’t swap for other names as it’s got to be the same people as will be a name change charge. Is there anyway we can cancel and get our deposit back? I can’t speak to Jet2 myself as we went through an agent and she just says no way she can do anything. Any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cath1978 said:
     the TA says we can’t swap for other names as it’s got to be the same people as will be a name change charge. 
    This bit doesn't make sense.

Does it have to be the same people or can you do it with a name change charge?  

You won't be able to just cancel and get your deposit back unless the booking was fully refundable and allowed for that.
  • superbigal
    Options
    If they "don't fancy going" then deposit lost.  Also possible your share of the holiday may increase depending on room occupancy etc if you attempt to simply cancel the teenagers. Best you check this out.
    A name change will be chargeable as advised by your TA.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As above.

You should be able to do name changes - but you bear the cost. Check Jet2 Holidays terms and conditions for cost (assuming it is a Jet2 package). Then present this information to the travel agent.

If however this is an arrangement of separate flights (with Jet2) and separate accommodation, packaged up by a travel agent, then there might well be an issue with the non-refundable flight tickets and any request for a name change.

If the two teens no longer wish to travel then they don't have to but you/they lose the deposit.  As superbigal points out you may also have to have the holiday re-costed based on just the two of you sharing.

No entitlement to a refund for change of minds.
  • Upsidedownandaround
    Options
    It's unrealistic to expect them to give you your deposit back because you want to cancel because some of your party no longer wish to go. That defeats the whole purpose of a deposit.
    I'm surprised anyone would turn down a free holiday after the last two years though.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2022 at 3:30PM
    Options
    You are not entitled to a refund because some in the party have changed their minds . 

If you don’t want to loose your deposit and want to take 2 other people with you you can make the name changes yourself if are able to log into jet 2 manage my booking .

There is a £35 charge per person per flight ( so that’s £140 for 2 x  return flights .
    Plus you pay any increase in cost ( if the price you would pay today has increased from the original price you paid  ) There would also be additional charges if you paid a reduced price for a child’s ticket and need to change it to an adult - you will need to pay the additional cost .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback