How to live without heating - save £000s

Options

Comments

• matt_drummer
    Options
    dealyboy said:
    It's a shame we can't `bottle' the heat and save it for winter!
    You know I thought just that!  :)
    Maybe not in our lifetimes, but you know, we may be on to something!
  • HertsLad
    Options
    It's a shame we can't `bottle' the heat and save it for winter!
    There are some current attempts to do something along those lines. Solar electricity comes from the same source as the 30C heatwave - the sun. Various storage devices include batteries, of course, or using the electricity to compress air which is stored ahead of release to drive a turbine and provide energy. And so on.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well just turn off the heating.Wear thick Duvet, Blanket, Nightgown/ Night shirt. Sorted
  • Markc0011
    Options
    It's September and already getting cold..
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not going be dressing up specially to survive low indoor temperatures, but I don't really feel the need as long as it's above say 10 Deg C if I'm doing stuff, or 15 if I'm not. I was OK down to 12 in my office working from home last Winter, but felt cold when it was down to 8. 

I think there's a degree of aclimatisation depending on upbringing. People who've grown up with central heating available 24/7 will feel the cold more than older people who've never had that. 
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    I'm not going be dressing up specially to survive low indoor temperatures, but I don't really feel the need as long as it's above say 10 Deg C if I'm doing stuff, or 15 if I'm not. I was OK down to 12 in my office working from home last Winter, but felt cold when it was down to 8. 

I think there's a degree of aclimatisation depending on upbringing. People who've grown up with central heating available 24/7 will feel the cold more than older people who've never had that. 
    Also a person's levels of brown fat which increases when exposed to cold. 
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2023 at 2:22PM
    Options
    ....and I wouldn't underestimate the number of people with various health conditions for whom heating requirements are different. And of course there are those that have been so scared by energy prices they have scaled back on heating to the point they have made themselves ill.

Personally, given the choice between cutting back on holidays and cutting back on heating it would be the holidays every time that I scaled back. But each to their own and good luck to anyone who's going to try "the full Hertslad" this winter.
  • HertsLad
    Options
    Qyburn said:

I don't know what you consider to be dressing up, or what you wear to tolerate temperatures as low as 15C.

Until recently, I have been wearing no more than a shirt and a pair of trousers. But that's only down to 20C, Below that, as this morning in my house, I added a single base layer top, a jumper and a light fleece. If I stuck to my summer clothes for 20C plus, down to 15C, I would start to freeze.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know what you consider to be dressing up, or what you wear to tolerate temperatures as low as 15C.
    I suppose by "dressing up" I mean thermal underwear or extra outer clothing. In 15C I'd be wearing a fleece top over a woven shirt. Trousers as well, and socks. 

I think your "Summer clothes" comment is right to the point. Some people use central heating as a way to maintain Summer temperatures in Winter, and expect to dress the same all year round. That's their choice of course and modern houses and heating can allow that if you aren't worried about their fuel bills.

From my point of view I'm just more comfortable at a lower temperature.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Markc0011 said:
    It's September and already getting cold..

Not in Hampshire, it isn't! I was playing in goal today so not a lot of running around, and up on a breeezy hill in the downs, but I was warm. Still 21 in my lounge so obviously no heating on yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure