Unauthorised Payments

I recently checked my bank statement and I noticed some unauthorised payments being taken out quite often.  Went to Barclays and I was able to get this refunded.  As recommended by the bank, i downloaded the APP, so i could keep a closer eye on whats being taken out.  One of the unauthorised payments was for £29.99 monthly and i just checked and it started July 2020.  I think there is a cut of one £120 days, is there a procedure for me to get my money back.  As it's about two years, its nearly £700.  I know I should have checked my statements.   

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Who are these payments to ?
  • garcon6garcon6 Forumite
    481 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    SUPERPROF- STUDENT PA, that’s what has been appearing on my statement.  Can see it quite clearly on Barclays mobile app.
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The chargeback limit is 120 days yes, but seems like you were signed up for a service, whether intentional or not, you can dispute them but it's a bit strange to only just notice

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

481 Posts
    I never check my statement, generally leave it to one side.  
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looks like it is an on line tutoring service - ring any bells ?
    Their payment terms seem to make it difficult to accidentally sign up

• penners324penners324 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't leave statements to 1 side.

Looks like a service you've signed up for.
    481 Posts
    I never signed up to any tutoring services.  It has been reported to Barclays fraud team.  All payments refunded.  Now I’m checking my statements more often.  
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    garcon6 said:
    I never signed up to any tutoring services.  It has been reported to Barclays fraud team.  All payments refunded.  Now I’m checking my statements more often.  
    That's good news. Also that you're checking your statements. I learned the hard way that putting statements to one side is one way on the road to getting a debt relief order. (Now thankfully all in the past and lesson learned.) 

Now I have my banking app on my phone and check my statements twice a week. It's quick and easy to do and I know exactly where my money is at all times. I don't even think that's OTT either.. . . 
    Please note that comments are strictly my own opinion, intended to help - never hinder. If they do not help then please ignore as the intention of the forum is to help everyone, if possible. MSE forum rules clearly state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." It's always best to verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per the Forum rules.
    481 Posts
    Also I out that I was paying for a subscription £14.99 for the last two years.  Luckily still had the email confirmation and it was refunded.