If I challenge and the band for my neighbours in increased, will they know that it's because of me?

I've just been checking all the other similar properties near me of the same 1960's development.  Many of them have been extended and are  bigger than mine now, but  they are all in band C or D.  I'm in band E, and the only reason I can think of is that I'm the last one in the development, so am round the corner with a different postcode from all the others, including my direct neighbour.  If I challenge the banding and rather than getting a reduction, all my neighbours get put in a higher band, will they know that it is me that has challenged the council, or is it anonymous?


  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    They will only know if you tell them. 

    You pay council tax independently of everyone else and it's nobody else's business what band your property is in. 

    If you think your property is not in the right band, contact your council and ask them to do a review.

    And even if your neighbours DO find out, what are they going to do? 

    If you can save some money by reducing your council tax bill, go for it. Now is the best time, too before the next financial year begins. (Assuming that's April, as it is where I live.)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Thanks for that :-)
    'And even if your neighbours DO find out, what are they going to do? '
     - I want to keep good relationships with my neighbours...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,600 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You need to contact the VOA (England and Wales) or the Assessor (Scotland), NOT the council. For CT purposes the financial year starts on 1 April in all 3 countries. It does not matter when you ask for a band review as the reduction would be backdated, but the sooner you ask, the sooner you will get a reply.

    A CT band cannot be increased on account of alterations carried out by the current owner after CT came into force. So it is possible to have larger houses than yours correctly in a lower band.

    Although neither the VOA nor the Assessor would not identify your home as being the one that led to the increase in bands of other dwellings, it would not be too difficult for someone determined, to find out which householder was responsible. 

    Unless your postcode reflects a much more expensive neighbourhood or district I would doubt that is the reason for the difference in banding. The most likely explanation is that there was an error made when banding your home.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards