MSE News: Regulator Ofgem could update the energy price cap every three months

Options
MSE_Chris
MSE_Chris Posts: 200 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Energy regulator Ofgem has announced today that it will be reviewing whether to update the energy price cap more regularly in future as a result of the "unprecedented rise in wholesale market prices and volatility". This follows its decision yesterday to increase the price cap by 54% – adding nearly £700 a year to the bills of 22 million households from April.

Read the full story here:
'Regulator Ofgem could update the energy price cap every three months'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• What_time_is_it
    Options
    Given that there are local elections in May, I don't think there will be a review in 3 months time. Maybe from October it'll be every 3 months.
  • Grizzlebeard
    Options
    Given that there are local elections in May, I don't think there will be a review in 3 months time. Maybe from October it'll be every 3 months.

They already said it won't happen till after October in the original announcement..
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2022 at 2:22PM
    Options

They already said it won't happen till after October in the original announcement..

I swear that I read in the earlier releases that they were going to revise the cap whenever there were "extreme situations", like war with Russia, ( or the wholesale market increasing prices ;) ), but I can't find it now, only the reference to quarterly updates.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That really would make tariffs "variable" !!!
  • Grizzlebeard
    Options
    facade said:

I swear that I read in the earlier releases that they were going to revise the cap whenever there were "extreme situations", like war with Russia, ( or the wholesale market increasing prices ;) ), but I can't find it now, only the reference to quarterly updates.
    Yes I read that too, but it will only happen (or not) sometime after October.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    facade said:
    Best hope we don't get any extreme situations in the next seven and a half months, then!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Grizzlebeard
    Options
    QrizB said:
    facade said:
    Best hope we don't get any extreme situations in the next seven and a half months, then!
    If you've got an ongoing extreme situation with an ongoing series of extreme bumps on it, what do you call it. Single or plural?

It was stupid to call it a "loan", (Loan bad, debt-free good) but I think we have Loan v2, Loan v3, ...v17, on the way until they find a new crisis mitigation scheme. By 2026 the Standing Charge may include 17 x 11 pence's per day, 365 days a year.

All the Energy companies are going to be running  huge losses for the next 1-2 years simply honoring pre-crisis Fixed Term Tariffs.

Too scared to do the sums.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All the Energy companies are going to be running  huge losses for the next 1-2 years simply honoring pre-crisis Fixed Term Tariffs.

Too scared to do the sums.
    A good part of the risk there is with the wholesale suppliers with which our suppliers have hedged contracts.
    That is where I'd be watching for the next round of problems if this continues.
    The weakest of the suppliers have gone  for the most part, but remember it was a wholesale supplier failure that took out Zog, not their own reckless behaviour like some others...

• savers_united
    Options
    My understanding the cap was being abolished in 2023 anyhow, Ofgem stated it was never going to be permanent and by 2023 it would be removed.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    My understanding the cap was being abolished in 2023 anyhow, Ofgem stated it was never going to be permanent and by 2023 it would be removed.
    The cap has had several expiry dates but they've always been extended. No government has yet been brave enough to let it cease.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback