CAT LITTER BEST VALUE OR BULK BUYS

Options
I have 2 cats who both use litters and I have a bad back so occasionally I struggle. The lighter Iceland cat litters have risen in price Furs & Purrs I was using was great but has gone up was £4 maybe a year or so back then it went to £4.50  now it is £6. I get through maybe 1.5 bags a week and £30 isn't cheap. I have had the 30lt bags of wooden pellets from Pets at Home which last longer but they kill me even when delivered they are soheavy to drag from the kitchen and Iift. They are about £6.99 or work out about £20 but aren't as good as Iceland's granules none clumping made of recycled materials. What does anyone use I'm struggling now I'm willing to buy in bulk if it saves me money.lightweight is better as I live on my own but open to any options.  
DF by 2023 No 17 £1,644 /£6000 Total debt £18,000 at the start of DFW Journey. 201814TH JULY 2021 DEBT FREE now in control365 1p challenge No 49

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One cat, 2 litter trays.  We use Cat's Best clumping litter, which stays fresh for longer as all the wee - as well as the other stuff - lifts out cleanly.

A large bag costs just short of £30 from Pets at Home, but lasts us well over 2 months, so not as expensive as it sounds.  It's reasonably light weight, but does come in smaller bags if you can't manage the sack.

• PennyForThem_2
    Options
    I use Zooplus to buy both cat food and litter - so it is internet delivered (cheaper than Pets At Home) .  I use Cat's Best and buy 40L which is heavy.  What I would suggest is that if you have suitable containers you could decant the 40L delivery to smaller liftable and storageable packages - yes messy, and possibly a one-off cost for storage boxes but maybe a solution depending on how uch room you have.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best?utm-source=utm_source_teaser&analytics-id=6m1fgbkwnn0h-6Qsyfcshy00oAyqe2AOiwE

Zooplus are are really, really customer oriented service - recently for me there was a delayed delivery and I got 10% coupon off out of the blue for next purchase valid for 12 months (it wasn't delayed that much).  Also got a refund for a split litter Cat's Best on delivery with no quibble, though supported with photos.  Highly recommend Zooplus for pets' needs via internet.
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Although its heavy and can be expensive I can't recommend anything other than Cat's Best. I've tried others that are cheaper, ones with wood etc (I couldn't tell where the cat had peed so more got scooped out than needed) all of them I was going through like no tomorrow. Finally gone back to Cat's Best and the big bag has lasted ages. I like the clumping as its clean and shows clearly where the cat has peed.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    Options
    I use Zooplus to buy both cat food and litter - so it is internet delivered (cheaper than Pets At Home) .  I use Cat's Best and buy 40L which is heavy.  What I would suggest is that if you have suitable containers you could decant the 40L delivery to smaller liftable and storageable packages - yes messy, and possibly a one-off cost for storage boxes but maybe a solution depending on how uch room you have.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best?utm-source=utm_source_teaser&analytics-id=6m1fgbkwnn0h-6Qsyfcshy00oAyqe2AOiwE

Zooplus are are really, really customer oriented service - recently for me there was a delayed delivery and I got 10% coupon off out of the blue for next purchase valid for 12 months (it wasn't delayed that much).  Also got a refund for a split litter Cat's Best on delivery with no quibble, though supported with photos.  Highly recommend Zooplus for pets' needs via internet.
    I ordered 2 bottles of Feliway from Zooplus a few years back.  They sent me a lot more by mistake.  When I contacted them they told me to keep it with their compliments.  I knew I wouldn’t use it before it expired so as it was new and sealed I gave it to a local pets charity shop
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered looking at Equestrian stores or Farms? 
    Often suitable horse litter pellets are good for cats too. 
    Buying in bulk like that could save you a lot!
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • Blackberrycurved
    Options
    lots to think about  still struggling the splitting the heavy stuff into smaller containers won’t work as I can’t get down back issues and sore hands. I’ll try the Cats Best and see if someone can be here when it’s delivered thank you 
    DF by 2023 No 17 £1,644 /£6000 Total debt £18,000 at the start of DFW Journey. 201814TH JULY 2021 DEBT FREE now in control365 1p challenge No 49
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2022 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Is it possible for you to bring the cleaned and empty tray to the litter bag, fill with litter and carry back to location?
    You could also place a chair next to the litter bag so you can sit down while filling the litter box. Perhaps a large food scoop would make things easier still? I use them myself for several things as they are so handy. 

That way the heavy litter bag is only moved once and then the tray is moved back and forth. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback