Spotted any examples of Valentine's price inflation?

Have you seen heart-shaped boxes of chocolates that cost more than larger standard boxes of the same kind of chocolate?

Have you spotted Valentine's themed bouquets of flowers that cost more than their everyday counterparts?

I'm after any examples of items costing more simply because they've been branded with hearts etc.

Thank you,

MSE Laura F

Comments

• 15 roses costs £5 at work. Have them all red, wrapped in heart pattern/red wrapping - £10.

• MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Hipster pizza place near my gaff - regular margherita £8.50, heart-shaped margherita (which looks a bit smaller to me) £9.

As if I'm not capable of eating a regular pizza into a heart shape myself, you shysters!
  • What is romantic about a heart-shaped pizza?  :confused:

Call me middle-aged and jaded, but everything labelled with the word "Valentine" is immediately followed in my mind by the word "con".
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Noticed in Lidl the strawberries in the heart shaped punnet are about 40p per kilo more than the strawberries in the standard punnet. That works out to be about 6% more
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I purchased my wife 24 red roses this afternoon for £12, so that's 50 pence per rose which did not seem unreasonable.

I think I missed a trick, though, by giving her all the roses.  I should have given her 12 roses and then sold the other 12 tomorrow for £3 each. :D<3o:)
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,570 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Valentine inflation returns for 2023.

Spotted in Saino's:

Standard milk Lindor, 337g = £8 (£2.37 per 100g). Currently on promo for £6.50 (£1.93 per 100g)
    Heart-shaped box milk Lindor, 200g = £6 (£3 per 100g)
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Taittinger NV champagne 75cl is 31.99 at Morrisons and Waitrose but £40 at Ocado !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback