Depression at work?

Options
***Asking on behalf of a friend***

Hey guys, how you all doing?

May not be the right section to ask this, but looking for some advice/insite for my friend. 

Basically for the past few months he's been pretty depressed at work, low mood etc, fine when he's at home and weekends etc but says that the thought of work in general is weighing him down, causing anxiety etc. 

He's had about 5 jobs in the past 3 years I want to say, usually staying in one for a few months before leaving due to getting bored or it's not what he wants etc, basically he thinks he's getting depressed because he has to work in general, hasn't got the funds/opportunity to go self employed or look at entrepreneurial opportunities. 

Is it just a case of not finding the right job yet? He's 32 now. 

All insite welcome, thank you!

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Find interests and hobbies outside of work?  Has been tough on many peoples mental health over the past 2 years. Go walking with him. Exercise is good for oneself in so many ways. Far easier with a companion. 
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    I think you have to start from is there anything he actually wants to do?

I absolutely get how awful it can be being in a job you hate, but you have to think about a plan to get into a better position. Simply sitting about wasn't an option for me, and it doesn't sound like its an option for him either. 

He could look at re-training opportunities, evening classes, start putting money aside for a potential career change, look into voluntary work at the weekends if there are areas that might lead to work that he is interested in, think about self employment and what that might look like, start a small business in his spare time. Maybe looking at jobs that involve travel would help with the boredom. 

Unfortunately the only options are to suck it up so you can pay the bills, or think carefully about a long term plan that will get you into a position to get a job you might prefer.  

• biscan25
    biscan25 Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like me a year or so ago.

I'd reached a stage in my career that I'd become somewhat a journeyman. No longer earmarked for quick promotions and the top jobs, and just another pair of hands. This leads into a spiral of demotivation and further stagnation.

Was on ADs from the doctor, but he encouraged me to talk to a therapist, so I managed to get some regular sessions funded by my health insurance through my employer. Ironically, after identifying that work was the principal cause for my depression, the therapist inspired me to look for alternative opportunities.

I'd love to work for myself, but in my profession that's not really an option. Ideally I'd say to hell with it and gamble on a business opportunity (I'd set up a microbrewery!, but at 32 myself and with a mortgage to pay I am in too deep to really make that jump.

As an in between approach I'm now a contractor. Yes I'm still working for 'the man' and making them richer, but at least I have control over when I work (and am compensated much better too so that helps!). Perhaps this is an option in your friend's profession?

I wouldn't recommend your friend just sticks out his job. Life's too short for this. But I would heed the other posters' advice on really thinking about a next step and what would really get your friend out of bed in the morning.

Hope they get well soon. Depression is an ugly monster that is difficult to recongnise until after the fact.
    All the best.
    Pensions actuary, Runner, Dog parent, Homeowner
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it. I've passed it on and made suggestions. 

I don't think he's ever really known what he's wanted to do really job wise, mainly gone where the money is but then it's become less of an incentive overtime etc.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    StevenB12 said:

He's had about 5 jobs in the past 3 years I want to say, usually staying in one for a few months before leaving due to getting bored or it's not what he wants etc, basically he thinks he's getting depressed because he has to work in general, hasn't got the funds/opportunity to go self employed or look at entrepreneurial opportunities. 

Many people get to retirement without ever finding the right job! Hopefully he can avoid that.

You don't always needs funds or opportunities to go self employed/look at entrepreneurial opportunities. Many people have second jobs, often based on hobbies or interests, which then expand to become a full time occupation.  If he can work out his main bugbear about work ('having to do it' isn't going to be the answer here, even if that's his response, unless he can survive off grid with no income), it may be easier to find something he would like to do. A lawyer friend of mine was more than happy to give up a City salary and exchange 14 hour days/no contact with his family/endless stress for life as a jobbing gardener.  He loves being outdoors, being his own boss and never having to take work home. An extreme example (but a real one), so worth pondering the point.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Marcon said:
    StevenB12 said:

Many people get to retirement without ever finding the right job! Hopefully he can avoid that.

You don't always needs funds or opportunities to go self employed/look at entrepreneurial opportunities. Many people have second jobs, often based on hobbies or interests, which then expand to become a full time occupation.  If he can work out his main bugbear about work ('having to do it' isn't going to be the answer here, even if that's his response, unless he can survive off grid with no income), it may be easier to find something he would like to do. A lawyer friend of mine was more than happy to give up a City salary and exchange 14 hour days/no contact with his family/endless stress for life as a jobbing gardener.  He loves being outdoors, being his own boss and never having to take work home. An extreme example (but a real one), so worth pondering the point.

Know of a City Banker that trained to become a social worker. Said he did it as it was personally rewarding to help others. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure