Will I get a tax rebate ?

I'll spare boring you with all the details and provide some facts.

April 1 2021 - June 1 2021 was on sick leave from previous long term job, for which I got paid SSP.
June 1 2021 handed in notice and got paid 5 days holiday
November 2021 did 8 days work with agency
December 2021 worked full month with agency
January 2021 Taken on full time with contract

I have claimed no benefits of any sort in this timeframe.

Will I get a tax rebate for tax paid on wages in November onwards ?
Do I have to do anything my end ?
If I do get a tax rebate, when should I expect to receive it ?

Many thanks as always.

Replies

• comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Depends on your tax codes.  If you gave  p45 to each employer and your tax code was not ending in M1 then you would have got your tax back on first pay.  If not you may have a tax rebate to come so contact HMRC or just wait it out.  It will sort itself out after the tax year end.
  • TheMilkmansDadTheMilkmansDad Forumite
    500 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Depends how much you've earnt (or expect to earn) for this financial year (from April 2021 > April 2022) and how much tax you have paid.

Assuming you've provided the P45 to your new employer it should sort itself out.
  • edited 25 January 2022 at 10:37AM
    Jimmy_BoyJimmy_Boy Forumite
    268 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 January 2022 at 10:37AM
    I have not been requested to provide any P45 to new employer.

Tax code on payslip from agency is 1263/L1

I expect for April 2021 to April 2022 I will have earned a total of approx £6k.
    500 Posts
    Forumite
    well I'd ask you agency for your P45 and forward on the relevant part to your new employers HR team. The fact they've not asked for it rings a few alarm bells - but that's probably the cynic in me!
  • Jimmy_BoyJimmy_Boy Forumite
    268 Posts
    Forumite
    well I'd ask you agency for your P45 and forward on the relevant part to your new employers HR team. 

The agency work was for the same company that has took me on full time, so from November onwards I have worked for the same company. Would this make a difference ?
    500 Posts
    Forumite
    if it's the same people paying you then you should be fine in this case.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Jimmy_Boy said:
    I'll spare boring you with all the details and provide some facts.

April 1 2021 - June 1 2021 was on sick leave from previous long term job, for which I got paid SSP.
    June 1 2021 handed in notice and got paid 5 days holiday
    November 2021 did 8 days work with agency
    December 2021 worked full month with agency
    January 2021 Taken on full time with contract

I have claimed no benefits of any sort in this timeframe.

Will I get a tax rebate for tax paid on wages in November onwards ?
    Do I have to do anything my end ?
    If I do get a tax rebate, when should I expect to receive it ?

Many thanks as always.
    Jimmy_Boy said:
    I have not been requested to provide any P45 to new employer.

Tax code on payslip from agency is 1263/L1

I expect for April 2021 to April 2022 I will have earned a total of approx £6k.
    Jimmy_Boy said:
    well I'd ask you agency for your P45 and forward on the relevant part to your new employers HR team. 

The agency work was for the same company that has took me on full time, so from November onwards I have worked for the same company. Would this make a difference ?
    Did you receive and pass on the P45 received from your early 2021 employer?  I take it the full-time contract is from January 2022.

The code "1263/L 1" may indicate tax is on a non-cumulative basis.
    What does your first payslip from this agency show for your year-to-date pay?

Does your current "contract" give the agency's name as the employer?
    268 Posts
    Forumite
    I have not been asked for a P45 at any point. I have not forwarded a P45 to any agency or employer.

I may of unintentionally not explained things correctly, i'll try to explain things a bit clearer.

In November, I started working for 'Agency A' at 'Company A', I worked a total of 8 days for them. I notice my Tax Code with Agency A is '1257L W1M1'. My final payslip summary from Agency A dated 19/11/2021 :

In December I started working for 'Agency B' at 'Company B'.

I notice my first pay slip with Agency B had tax code of "1257L/1" and subsequent payslips had tax code of "1263/L1".

First pay slip from Agency B

Final payslip from Agency B

The full time contract started 3rd Jan 2022 with Company B and states 'Company B' as the employer. I have had no correspondence or pay from Agency B since end of December.

I have not been paid by Company B yet as pay is monthly. Expect to get paid on 28/01/2022.
  • edited 27 January 2022 at 11:04AM
    General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2022 at 11:04AM
    Jimmy_Boy said:
    I have not been asked for a P45 at any point. I have not forwarded a P45 to any agency or employer.

I may of unintentionally not explained things correctly, i'll try to explain things a bit clearer.

In November, I started working for 'Agency A' at 'Company A', I worked a total of 8 days for them. I notice my Tax Code with Agency A is '1257L W1M1'. My final payslip summary from Agency A dated 19/11/2021 :

In December I started working for 'Agency B' at 'Company B'.

I notice my first pay slip with Agency B had tax code of "1257L/1" and subsequent payslips had tax code of "1263/L1".

First pay slip from Agency B

Final payslip from Agency B

The full time contract started 3rd Jan 2022 with Company B and states 'Company B' as the employer. I have had no correspondence or pay from Agency B since end of December.

I have not been paid by Company B yet as pay is monthly. Expect to get paid on 28/01/2022.
    Company B should have asked you for a P45 or given you a New Starter Form (previously known as a P46).   I would have expected them to have asked you at the same time as asking for your bank account details.
    If they have done neither, expect them to deduct 20% tax off all your earnings.
    Get in touch with appropriate people at Company B (ask your manager if you do not know who that is) to find out so that things can be sorted out before the year end.

268 Posts
    Forumite
    So I got paid by Company B on 28/01/2022 and have a tax code of '1263 M1'. I have contacted Company B, who in turn got in touch with there payroll provider who say on 24/01/2022 they received notification from HMRC saying my tax code is 1263 M1 and will be applicable from February 2022 onwards.

Company B say a P45 from Agency B may get me off the emergency tax code.

Im totally confused!

At the end of the day... if I need to be paying tax I want to be paying the right amount and not end up with a tax bill from HMRC, on the other hand, if im paying too much or am below my personal allowance for 2021 - 2022 then I want to ensure I get any rebate I am entitled to.