Sending original Will to HMRC

2»

Replies

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bfh said:
    Has anyone sent an uncertified copy of the Will to HMRC and was this accepted?

Coming to this late - are you sure that HMRC actually need a copy of the will ?
    I didn't need to send them anything, although this maybe becasue the estate was under the IHT limit.
    A couple of organisations did ask me for a copy prior to getting probate (presumably to show I was named as an executor and had authority to deal with the estate) but were happy with straight copies /scans - no need for them to be certified.
  • BfhBfh Forumite
    59 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Bfh said:

I didn't need to send them anything, although this maybe becasue the estate was under the IHT limit.
    A couple of organisations did ask me for a copy prior to getting probate (presumably to show I was named as an executor and had authority to deal with the estate) but were happy with straight copies /scans - no need for them to be certified.
    Thanks:) I’m probably being over cautious in wanting to get it certified but I just want as few hiccups as possible!
    Unfortunately, the estate is slightly over the threshold and isn’t exempted HMRC do apparently need a copy in this case.
  • SiliconChipSiliconChip Forumite
    303 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bfh said:

The probate process requires the original Will to be sent to HMCTS (not HMRC). It's got nothing to do with IHT limits, probate can be required in many cases even if the estate has no IHT to pay (as was the case with my mum's estate). I had a certified copy made before sending the original. I have seen other threads where it is suggested that HMCTS will accept a certified copy if the original has been lost or destroyed but I think you'd need to speak to them rather than just send it in.
  • Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Probate recently accepted a certified copy of a copy. The original had been destroyed in a fire (at solicitor's storage) covering letter also sent by solicitor.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bfh said:

The probate process requires the original Will to be sent to HMCTS (not HMRC).
    Yes, I'm aware that HMCTS require the original (if available), and goodcitizen also pointed that out on the second post of this thread. It sounds like the OP is aware that HMCTS (aka 'The Probate Office;) are a separate organisation to HMRC, which is why I was asking them to check that HMRC had actually asked for a copy.
  • edited 7 February at 10:49PM
    SiliconChipSiliconChip Forumite
    303 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 February at 10:49PM
    Bfh said:

The probate process requires the original Will to be sent to HMCTS (not HMRC).
    Yes, I'm aware that HMCTS require the original (if available), and goodcitizen also pointed that out on the second post of this thread. It sounds like the OP is aware that HMCTS (aka 'The Probate Office;) are a separate organisation to HMRC, which is why I was asking them to check that HMRC had actually asked for a copy.

Apologies, I replied to your post without having properly read the OP. There was no IHT to pay on my mum's estate so the only dealings I had with HMRC were on her income tax position, and as she'd overpaid they simply sent me a refund cheque (eventually, they were the slowest the pay up).