What should I do

Options
Hi guys, ok when i was younger I was crap with money and credit cards and defaulted, over the years they have all dropped off my file and im older and wiser now, so when the defaults did dropp of my file I got the high apr ones to build my file back up, I have a Capt 1 (200 Limit) for the past two years owe nothing on it (Vanquis 1250 Limit Owe £0) (Aqua 650 Limit owe 100) and now I have just been accepted for a MBNA Plat card at 14.9 % with a £2500 limit my question now is should I dump the cap 1 card and vanquis or will this once again hurt my score, sorry if this is in the wrong place Im new here :) or should i just keep all the cards and maintian getting good paymnet histories

Comments

• Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on building a better credit history
    :beer:

Now you've been accepted for an MBNA Platinum card with a £2500 credit limit, I would definitely close down your low-limit Capital One card.

A phone call to customer services (0800 952 5150) should be all that's required, but ask C1 to confirm closure in writing ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi guys, ok when i was younger I was crap with money and credit cards and defaulted, over the years they have all dropped off my file and im older and wiser now, so when the defaults did dropp of my file I got the high apr ones to build my file back up, I have a Capt 1 (200 Limit) for the past two years owe nothing on it (Vanquis 1250 Limit Owe £0) (Aqua 650 Limit owe 100) and now I have just been accepted for a MBNA Plat card at 14.9 % with a £2500 limit my question now is should I dump the cap 1 card and vanquis or will this once again hurt my score, sorry if this is in the wrong place Im new here :) or should i just keep all the cards and maintian getting good paymnet histories

I sometimes think just making do with a debit card leads to a happier life.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dump the Cap1 and Vanquis as they may restrict any future credit limit increases on your MBNA or any other cards you apply for in the future.

Your 'available' credit is just as important as what you actually owe. Your good payment history on the closed cards will remain on file for others to see for 6 years regardless of whether the accounts are open or not.
  • battyboimatt
    Options
    What aboutthe Aqua one that has a high apr should I pay that one off as well or leave that for awhile or should i close these down with a few months gap between them ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure