Building Insurance to Claim or not?

I have moved into a house and need a new roof as it is letting in Water.
My dilemma is should I claim on the insurance or pay for the repairs out of my savings?  I have been quoted £4500 for the new roof.
As I was in rental before moving into the property 11 months ago and about to search for a new insurance, I do not have a history with buildings insurance.
My concern is would it penalize me by claiming on the insurance e.g.: I would have to stay with the insurance company and would they put my premium up?
Thanks for reading what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2022 at 8:27PM
    Insurance  is not a maintenance contract. Did the roof fail suddenly?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Fox998
    Fox998 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I moved in the loft was dry and after heavy rain there was two large puddles of water.
    Interesting thought is it a maintenance issue? I do not know the answer to that question I am 50/50 hence the insurance dilemma or savings. 
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you want to claim on insurance you will need to tell them the event that caused the damage.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Home insurance only covers certain perils like storm, lightening strike etc and never cover maintenance. Unless you can pinpoint the start of the issue to an event and especially with the lack of experience of the property is it unlikely to be successful. 

What type of survey did you have done? What did it say about the condition of the roof?

If a claim is successful or not it will impact your premiums at renewal. You wont be tied to the insurer but one years insuance and one claim is not a good record that other insurers will be excited about taking on even if the claim is declined.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback